Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BS3 vs 3 BAR factory computer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BS3 vs 3 BAR factory computer

I would like to know why BS3 is better than a 3 BAR SD tune with the factory computer? Do you pick up power with the BS3 computer? I have put down 850 rwhp on 348 cubes with c16.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is nothing better about it. Just more options like afr targeting, staged fuel systems.... others can continue the list.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TJ of Baker Engineering will disagree with that statement. He has stated to me 'Its like painting a masterpiece with crayons.' The tables are few and far between and the resolution of the tables they have are 1/10 that of a factory GM computer.

He can chime in with more specifics...
Old 06-25-2008, 10:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has a low impedance injector driver, 3 step, 'real' real time tuning and closed loop wideband correction. Plus it has a couple timers for high gear retard or starting line retard, has an internal boost controller but havent used the boost controller myself.

I ran just as fast on a stock PCM, but with an add-on 2 step and injector driver there was just too many wires for me. Plus the closed loop wideband correction is nice if you are changing a lot of things around and want to spend tome racing the car and not staring at a laptop. The internal data logger is nice as well, its amazing how many frames it captures on a pass.

But its not for everyone, as far as ultimate power as long as the spark doesnt blow out and both have the perfect tune the BS3 wont make more power than a stock PCM. I do know I can run a way colder plug without misfiring so its possible the BS3 has a hotter spark but I dont know for sure. Naturally with a 98 you are limited in what you can do as well.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock computer can work well with some add ons for dyno runs, but a boosted racecar will benefit from the aftermarket systems.

Kurt

Quick Reply: BS3 vs 3 BAR factory computer