Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS tuning suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS tuning suggestions

I'm about to upgrade my 60-1 w/ upgraded housing and ex. wheel (flows between a 60-1 and T 67) at 10 psi. I'm going to a Turbonetics 67mm w/ a .81 A/R. I will be running the same 10 psi.

My question is should I:
A. get an all out dyno tune from a reputable shop and be done with it.
or
B. Buy Hp tuners or Ls1edit and do it myself.

I like the idea of paying the $550 for a dyno tune and go on my way. I also like the idea of having the ability to learn and make adjustments to my car any time. Also, I don't think tuning should be all that bad as my tune is all set up for the sts turbo at 10lbs, it's not like starting with a completely stock tune and trying to add all these variables to it.
Suggestions?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sworaz
I'm about to upgrade my 60-1 w/ upgraded housing and ex. wheel (flows between a 60-1 and T 67) at 10 psi. I'm going to a Turbonetics 67mm w/ a .81 A/R. I will be running the same 10 psi.

My question is should I:
A. get an all out dyno tune from a reputable shop and be done with it.
or
B. Buy Hp tuners or Ls1edit and do it myself.

I like the idea of paying the $550 for a dyno tune and go on my way. I also like the idea of having the ability to learn and make adjustments to my car any time. Also, I don't think tuning should be all that bad as my tune is all set up for the sts turbo at 10lbs, it's not like starting with a completely stock tune and trying to add all these variables to it.
Suggestions?
If you do your research and feel comfortable....I'd do it yourself. I'd also recommend either HP Tuners or EFI Live. LS1Edit doesn not allow you to change as many things as the other 2 programs do.

If you're NOT comfy w/ the idea of tuning your own car...then go for the pro tune. Be sure that the shop doing it has experience tuning turbo cars....and STS setups specifically. Also ask a LOT of Q's and let them know what you want (A/F ratio, timing, etc.)
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
If you do your research and feel comfortable....I'd do it yourself.
Well I've never tuned anything before, I've always taken my projects to tuning shops. I like the idea of learning to fish instead of having someone catch me a fish every time
Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be careful read and understand what you are reading. i would not start from scratch on a boosted tune with out the know how. But if you have it tuned and want to up the boost or make changes the hp tuners will be a good bet. At least if you get into a hole you can resort to the tune done by the shop.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Just be careful read and understand what you are reading. i would not start from scratch on a boosted tune with out the know how. But if you have it tuned and want to up the boost or make changes the hp tuners will be a good bet. At least if you get into a hole you can resort to the tune done by the shop.
So with having a tune on the car already for 10lbs with a bigger internal 60-1 I should be able to make changes to the tune with just putting a bigger (67mm) turbo on it?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
If you do your research and feel comfortable....I'd do it yourself. I'd also recommend either HP Tuners or EFI Live. LS1Edit doesn not allow you to change as many things as the other 2 programs do.

If you're NOT comfy w/ the idea of tuning your own car...then go for the pro tune. Be sure that the shop doing it has experience tuning turbo cars....and STS setups specifically. Also ask a LOT of Q's and let them know what you want (A/F ratio, timing, etc.)
Gospel. Get it tuned, then learn and adjust from there.

Also, I'm sure you know, but the CFM flow rates of a 60-1 and a 67 are much different...even at the same 10psi. Good thing you have a forged motor!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by geeteego
Gospel. Get it tuned, then learn and adjust from there.

Also, I'm sure you know, but the CFM flow rates of a 60-1 and a 67 are much different...even at the same 10psi. Good thing you have a forged motor!
Sounds like the what you guys are saying is to get it tuned by a professional shop after the turbo upgrade and then pick up a tuning kit and learn afterward.... Or don't buy HP tuners and do it myself.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Either way you do it, incase you dont already have one, GET A FUEL PUMP! Walbro 255 in tank should suit you well. If are still on the stock pump, upgrade before you tune or you will be going back for a retune because of inadequate fuel.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
Either way you do it, incase you dont already have one, GET A FUEL PUMP! Walbro 255 in tank should suit you well. If are still on the stock pump, upgrade before you tune or you will be going back for a retune because of inadequate fuel.
Got that on there already
Old 07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Well I found a guy locally with a Turbo'd Ls1 who has been working w/ HP tuners for like 6 years. He offered to give me a tutorial through tuning my car if I have the HP tuners. He doesn't have a dyno so it would be a street tune.
I would just buy the HP tuners kit.

Does this sound like a good idea? Was also wondering if people have ever given there base tune as a platform for another car. The only reason I wonder is because I see a lot of similar set ups to me on here and wonder if I could just use one as a base line.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running a single walbro? If so, I have my doubts that it will be enough.

As for the tune, I learned as I went, but I did have a "tudor" available all the time. It sounds like you do too, so that would help tremendously. Also, if you are doing a 2 bar SD tune, it's fairly easy...you should be able to handle it, especially since your car is pretty much tuned, you just need to adjust fuel a bit. Just remember you'll need a wideband too if you are tuning yourself!

Quick Reply: STS tuning suggestions