Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2 bar MAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default 2 bar MAP

When switching from a stock MAP to a 2 bar (GM part# 12580698) will the HP tuners 2 bar tune have the right files needed to get up and running.

My main intent for the switch was to be able to log boost via HPTuners, not necessarily a OLSD tune. Can I just switch the MAP sensors and still run a MAF tune?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think you could switch the sensors and still run the stock programming. If you are just trying to log boost then get an electronic boost guage and log the 5v signal wire. Or I guess you could install the 2 bar map and log it. Leaving the stock map as the signal for the pcm.

If you do decide to go 2 bar when you enhance the file 2 bar it will change the parameters for the 2 bar sensor.

EDIT: I would think you could modify the map sensor calibration numbers in the tune so the 2 bar map will work under the stock programming but I am not sure if it will read boost or not.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
When switching from a stock MAP to a 2 bar (GM part# 12580698) will the HP tuners 2 bar tune have the right files needed to get up and running.

My main intent for the switch was to be able to log boost via HPTuners, not necessarily a OLSD tune. Can I just switch the MAP sensors and still run a MAF tune?
Yes you can switch map sensors, but i belive you need a custom os to use the maps upper end.

You need to change the scaler for the map for it to have the correct calibration, so no a stock tune wont work.

If you have a 2bar, there is no need for a maf tune, a maf is dead in the water above a certin amount of airflow, sure you can tune it via PE, but that is not the correct way to tune it.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
I dont think you could switch the sensors and still run the stock programming. If you are just trying to log boost then get an electronic boost guage and log the 5v signal wire. Or I guess you could install the 2 bar map and log it. Leaving the stock map as the signal for the pcm.

If you do decide to go 2 bar when you enhance the file 2 bar it will change the parameters for the 2 bar sensor.

EDIT: I would think you could modify the map sensor calibration numbers in the tune so the 2 bar map will work under the stock programming but I am not sure if it will read boost or not.
I didn't think about the electronic boost gauge signal wire. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Yes you can switch map sensors, but i belive you need a custom os to use the maps upper end.

You need to change the scaler for the map for it to have the correct calibration, so no a stock tune wont work.

If you have a 2bar, there is no need for a maf tune, a maf is dead in the water above a certin amount of airflow, sure you can tune it via PE, but that is not the correct way to tune it.
Jake I sent my PCM to you guys last week for a base tune......I am not sure about all the tuning aspects of forced induction yet, most say speed density, and some including Bob say that the MAF will be O.K.?? I am wanting to put the subframe, eng, and trans back in ths weekend but am hesistant until I have the right MAP in place, not wanting to mess with it later under the cowl and all, rather do it now.

I inlcuded a run down of my build in the box the PCM came in but here are some basics:

AFR 225 heads
FAST 90/90
232/240 .598/.608 115lsa
1 7/8" Kooks
A4 with PY3400
9.5:1
D1SC with twin 4.5" intercoolers
7.250" X 3.70 pulley SDCE set-up (like to see 10-12 psi)
9" 3.70 gear

So my question is Speed Density or use the stk. MAF?, if Speed Density what MAP sensor do I need?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Jake I sent my PCM to you guys last week for a base tune......I am not sure about all the tuning aspects of forced induction yet, most say speed density, and some including Bob say that the MAF will be O.K.?? I am wanting to put the subframe, eng, and trans back in ths weekend but am hesistant until I have the right MAP in place, not wanting to mess with it later under the cowl and all, rather do it now.

I inlcuded a run down of my build in the box the PCM came in but here are some basics:

AFR 225 heads
FAST 90/90
232/240 .598/.608 115lsa
1 7/8" Kooks
A4 with PY3400
9.5:1
D1SC with twin 4.5" intercoolers
7.250" X 3.70 pulley SDCE set-up (like to see 10-12 psi)
9" 3.70 gear

So my question is Speed Density or use the stk. MAF?, if Speed Density what MAP sensor do I need?

Thanks
I would only run a 2bar sd tune for this, the stock cars running 7psi are fine for a MAF, but anything over that the air meter is pegged out.

A sensor for this would be the 2bar sensor from GM, its a baro sensor for a cobalt, the same pn you posted.

A MAF tune would be maxxed out in the midrange, and after the maf is maxed it is done be PE (power enrichment), while it works, its not correct. Belt slips and you go super rich.

A speed density tune will have the computer on the same page as you setup, knowing there is 12psi at x rpm, and provide proper fuel, instead of a fuel offset based on rpm (alpha-N).
Old 07-05-2008, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A MAF tune would be maxxed out in the midrange, and after the maf is maxed it is done be PE (power enrichment), while it works, its not correct. Belt slips and you go super rich.
Not only that, but if you tune a car that maxes the MAF out that early in the heat of the summer time, the AFR will swing very lean during the cold months...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

I would only run a 2bar sd tune for this, the stock cars running 7psi are fine for a MAF, but anything over that the air meter is pegged out.

A sensor for this would be the 2bar sensor from GM, its a baro sensor for a cobalt, the same pn you posted.

A speed density tune will have the computer on the same page as you setup, knowing there is 12psi at x rpm, and provide proper fuel, instead of a fuel offset based on rpm (alpha-N).
Do I need to call Bob, or ??, Monday to discuss what I am looking to do? It sounds as if he may have been leaning me towards a PE tune (not interested). I will go ahead with the Cobalt MAP. I can get it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Frost
Not only that, but if you tune a car that maxes the MAF out that early in the heat of the summer time, the AFR will swing very lean during the cold months...
That's not good.....thanks!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
FormerVendor

Do I need to call Bob, or ??, Monday to discuss what I am looking to do? It sounds as if he may have been leaning me towards a PE tune (not interested). I will go ahead with the Cobalt MAP. I can get it tomorrow.

That's not good.....thanks!
Make sure its the right pn, the cobalt has a baro and a map too. The baro is the correct one i belive, the pn you posted.

Are you brining the vehicle to us for a dyno tune?

Quick Reply: 2 bar MAP