Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

thinking of trying race gas over E85

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking of trying race gas over E85

I only have 65# injectors currently and have them maxed out running e85. I am thinking that if i switched to race gas for the track that I would be able to make more power. Im thinking this because of how much more fuel e85 requires compared to running gas. More room with the injectors equals more room for boost. Am i correct in thinking this?

What are your guy's results with running race gas?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

anyone? want to get started on a tune today if this is right
Old 07-13-2008, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not get bigger injector and keep the e-85
Old 07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fletchls1
I only have 65# injectors currently and have them maxed out running e85. I am thinking that if i switched to race gas for the track that I would be able to make more power. Im thinking this because of how much more fuel e85 requires compared to running gas. More room with the injectors equals more room for boost. Am i correct in thinking this?

What are your guy's results with running race gas?
There are two reasons why switching to race gas will net you more power....

1) As you stated, it requires more volume of fuel to support the same power as gas, in-turn maxing out a set of injectors at a lower power level than gasoline.

2) Because you're burning more fuel volume you're getting more exhaust gas in the combustion cycle, which will make the turbine side choke faster and lower your overall peak power. You will however spool slightly quicker with more exhaust gas volume however, there is a tradeoff with the power you will make.

However, nothing will beat e-85 in terms of cost and running high hp. I would use e85 if I was spinning a slightly oversized turbo for my motor, it'd spool quicker and have better street manners. But for maxing out a combo, I'd use race gas.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Why not get bigger injector and keep the e-85
Right now im not wanting to buy some 160# injectors and box to get to where i should be. Plus this is a street car and im guessing that size of injector would not be very street friendly.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
There are two reasons why switching to race gas will net you more power....

1) As you stated, it requires more volume of fuel to support the same power as gas, in-turn maxing out a set of injectors at a lower power level than gasoline.

2) Because you're burning more fuel volume you're getting more exhaust gas in the combustion cycle, which will make the turbine side choke faster and lower your overall peak power. You will however spool slightly quicker with more exhaust gas volume however, there is a tradeoff with the power you will make.

However, nothing will beat e-85 in terms of cost and running high hp. I would use e85 if I was spinning a slightly oversized turbo for my motor, it'd spool quicker and have better street manners. But for maxing out a combo, I'd use race gas.

Thanks for the info! What kind of timing are you guys running on race gas?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need 160lbs. I just picked up a driver and a set of 83lbs injectors. They go in this week and on the dyno next week. Mine gets alot of street miles also.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
You dont need 160lbs. I just picked up a driver and a set of 83lbs injectors. They go in this week and on the dyno next week. Mine gets alot of street miles also.
that wouldnt net me a whole lot more than i am getting now...I would like to have them to support 1k hp and was suggested to get these
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fletchls1
Right now im not wanting to buy some 160# injectors and box to get to where i should be. Plus this is a street car and im guessing that size of injector would not be very street friendly.
Well 160lb injectors are a joke for a street car. You cant tune them to idle for ****.

60lb injectors will support 1k hp on gasoline. You don't need anymore than some RC 75's or 84's; and even then you'll have some cushion.

Quick Reply: thinking of trying race gas over E85