Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo 6.0 ???'s What heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 6.0 ???'s What heads?

Ok trying to figure out what heads to run on my turbo 6.0 build.

Dan at BW is talking me into the s380 instead of some of the other turbo's I had in mind.

I did a little reading and seen people mentioning alot of after market heads, ie... afr's and a few other i cant think of right of the top of my head.

Then some others mentione the fact that you can use stock 243 heads.

Since there are different head stud options, L19 or oversized diameter studs. Is headlift still being a huge issue around 1kwhp or so.

TIA
Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best thing to do at the 1000rwhp is to run aftermarket heads with arp head studs,the aftermarket heads have a thicker deck surface which clamps the head gasket much better.you can make 1000rwhp with oem heads but the head gaskets wont live forever
Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
the best thing to do at the 1000rwhp is to run aftermarket heads with arp head studs,the aftermarket heads have a thicker deck surface which clamps the head gasket much better.you can make 1000rwhp with oem heads but the head gaskets wont live forever
thank you...just confirming my original thoughts.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If your looking to make 1000rwhp you'll need studs for sure and something a little thicker as well. Also keep in mind backpressure, and I think I would bypass an S380, which is the same as our SX80. A S88 or S91 will kick the crap out of a S380 or SX80 on a big cube LS1 motor and still spool great....plus backpressure won't be through the roof of you plan to step it up big time.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
If your looking to make 1000rwhp you'll need studs for sure and something a little thicker as well. Also keep in mind backpressure, and I think I would bypass an S380, which is the same as our SX80. A S88 or S91 will kick the crap out of a S380 or SX80 on a big cube LS1 motor and still spool great....plus backpressure won't be through the roof of you plan to step it up big time.
Yeah with motec they have so many logging options, one will be set up with back pressure to make sure tha a/r and turbo will be good for the combo. I talked to dan and hes pretty dead set on this turbo being a great turbo for this motor. Just a few months ago a mustang pegged a mustang dyno with the s380. The other option is the s480 which is the t6 frame and bigger a/r's. Things for me to work on since Im not turbo'ing 4 cylinders anymore.

Im looking through the aftermarket heads, afr and trickflow. The things Im wondering is when I ran turbo 4 cars, we were in the 38-40psi range with the turbo's and if the valve seat pressure wasnt enough it would cause some issues up top when I was at 9,500 rpms and 40psi. The valves would start floating from the rpms and psi. Is the 155 seat pressure enough for a higher psi v8? I see lots of power being made at 20+ psi, and with a 6.0 im sure I wont be going much over 7500, but just wanting to make sure the heads and valve springs arent going to run in the same issues as the 2.2ltrs I was running before.

Do you run into such spring bind when you start going up in the spring seat pressures?

Still looking at different cams, too so if anyone has any suggestions.

Again thanks.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by less10
Yeah with motec they have so many logging options, one will be set up with back pressure to make sure tha a/r and turbo will be good for the combo. I talked to dan and hes pretty dead set on this turbo being a great turbo for this motor. Just a few months ago a mustang pegged a mustang dyno with the s380. The other option is the s480 which is the t6 frame and bigger a/r's. Things for me to work on since Im not turbo'ing 4 cylinders anymore.

Im looking through the aftermarket heads, afr and trickflow. The things Im wondering is when I ran turbo 4 cars, we were in the 38-40psi range with the turbo's and if the valve seat pressure wasnt enough it would cause some issues up top when I was at 9,500 rpms and 40psi. The valves would start floating from the rpms and psi. Is the 155 seat pressure enough for a higher psi v8? I see lots of power being made at 20+ psi, and with a 6.0 im sure I wont be going much over 7500, but just wanting to make sure the heads and valve springs arent going to run in the same issues as the 2.2ltrs I was running before.

Do you run into such spring bind when you start going up in the spring seat pressures?

Still looking at different cams, too so if anyone has any suggestions.

Again thanks.
Yeah the S380 is the same turbo as our SX80 that we build here, only we do finish machining to the unit and oiling mods. That turbo will NOT compete with one of the full blown S-series units we build. Our FI units are built for big cube motors in mind. The 87mm turbine will not handle an LSX based motor like the larger TM1 turbine. We have already tried it several times and it will work, but not optimal.

Don't get to hung up on the springs, you won't see nearly the pressures on a V8 at 1000hp as you would with a 4cyl at 1000hp. Just get a set of good heads...that's about all you really need to be concerned about.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Yeah the S380 is the same turbo as our SX80 that we build here, only we do finish machining to the unit and oiling mods. That turbo will NOT compete with one of the full blown S-series units we build. Our FI units are built for big cube motors in mind. The 87mm turbine will not handle an LSX based motor like the larger TM1 turbine. We have already tried it several times and it will work, but not optimal.

Don't get to hung up on the springs, you won't see nearly the pressures on a V8 at 1000hp as you would with a 4cyl at 1000hp. Just get a set of good heads...that's about all you really need to be concerned about.
Thats pretty reasuring. I will definately keep in mind about that turbo being to small. I have been eyeing another turbo thats 88mm so I guess that can be another option.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

I'm pushing water past my 243's at somewhere between 16-18psi. These are ported heads on a low-compression iron 6.0 with head studs.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by geeteego
I'm pushing water past my 243's at somewhere between 16-18psi. These are ported heads on a low-compression iron 6.0 with head studs.
Oh wow. Thank you for the input.

Quick Reply: Turbo 6.0 ???'s What heads?