Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What PSI spring are you running in your Turbo BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default What PSI spring are you running in your Turbo BOV?

I bought the Tial 50mm from a local Houston shop and (wrongly) assumed it would be like the TurboSmart brand and INCLUDE all the springs so you could change the PSI at which it activates. I'm only running 12-14PSI at my WasteGate so I need the 7 psi. The Tial comes ONLY with a 11psi. This must be too high because when I shift under boost, the Intercooler pipe that connects at the T76 outlet pops off. That elbow is getting pretty scuffed up and dented from smacking the road when it pops off. I've tightened the T-Bolt plenty but I think between the straight cut off the pipes end (no raised lip for the coupler/TBolt to capture), the torquing over of the motor under boost and the high PSI spring in the BOV, I'm not going to get into boost via the gas pedal till I've changed one of those 3 conditions.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
I bought the Tial 50mm from a local Houston shop and (wrongly) assumed it would be like the TurboSmart brand and INCLUDE all the springs so you could change the PSI at which it activates. I'm only running 12-14PSI at my WasteGate so I need the 7 psi. The Tial comes ONLY with a 11psi. This must be too high because when I shift under boost, the Intercooler pipe that connects at the T76 outlet pops off. That elbow is getting pretty scuffed up and dented from smacking the road when it pops off. I've tightened the T-Bolt plenty but I think between the straight cut off the pipes end (no raised lip for the coupler/TBolt to capture), the torquing over of the motor under boost and the high PSI spring in the BOV, I'm not going to get into boost via the gas pedal till I've changed one of those 3 conditions.
have you measured your idle vacuum?

this is what Tial recommends using based on idle vacuum

between - 22 and -23 in/Hg use -12 Psi spring
between -18 and -21 in/Hg use -11 Psi
between - 14 and -17 in/Hg use -9 Psi
between -10 and -13 in/Hg use -7 Psi

Last edited by Fireball; 07-22-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Oh.. Those PSI are Idle vacuum? I thought those were boost PSI's. My idle Vacuum is 15 psi. Sounds like the 9 is the better choice in that context.

Originally Posted by Fireball
have you measured your idle vacuum?

this is what Tial recommends using based on idle vacuum

between - 22 and -23 in/Hg use -12 Psi spring
between -18 and -21 in/Hg use -11 Psi
between - 14 and -17 in/Hg use -9 Psi
between -10 and -13 in/Hg use -7 Psi
Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh.. Those PSI are Idle vacuum? I thought those were boost PSI's. My idle Vacuum is 15 psi. Sounds like the 9 is the better choice in that context.
well...I don't particularly care for their terminology...they are using psi in the absolute sense, i.e. 14.7 psi = no boost/no vacuum.

so 12 psi = 2.7 psi less than atmosphere = vacuum of ~24 in/Hg

your vacuum can not be 15 psi, that means its boosting 0.3 psi at idle...its probably 15 in/Hg
Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Forgive me. I thought it would be assumed that I'm looking at a Vacuum/Boost gauge. At idle, the needle is on the vacuum side of Zero, showing '15'.

well...I don't particularly care for their terminology...they are using psi in the absolute sense, i.e. 14.7 psi = no boost/no vacuum.

so 12 psi = 2.7 psi less than atmosphere = vacuum of ~24 in/Hg

your vacuum can not be 15 psi, that means its boosting 0.3 psi at idle...its probably 15 in/Hg
Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd expect compressor surge,

but there's still no reason why your pipe is blowing off.

My BOV vacuum line fell out once one night, and was doing some blasts on the highway hearing surge. I checked later and saw the disconnected line. My BOV wasn't opening at all, but none of my couplers blew off.

That was with an old Greddy.

I'm running a Turbosmart Megasonic Type 3... One spring, and it will hold an unlimited amount of boost... Extremely adjustable too... Can go VERY soft/hard depending on vacuum conditions/boost. Adjustable by hand, not tools needed.

15 inches? You have good vacuum... How is the BOV connected? Dedicated line?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Forgive me. I thought it would be assumed that I'm looking at a Vacuum/Boost gauge. At idle, the needle is on the vacuum side of Zero, showing '15'.
vaccum side of most boost gauges are in in/Hg. so it appears a 9psi spring is what you want
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bboyferal

My BOV vacuum line fell out once one night, and was doing some blasts on the highway hearing surge. I checked later and saw the disconnected line. My BOV wasn't opening at all, but none of my couplers blew off.
compressor won't surge since the pipe blowing off is his BOV

I think theres a trick of spraying some hairspray on the coupler before sliding it on, when it dries it tends to "glue" them together to keep them from popping off. thats why I v-banded all my connections
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

compressor won't surge since the pipe blowing off is his BOV

I think theres a trick of spraying some hairspray on the coupler before sliding it on, when it dries it tends to "glue" them together to keep them from popping off. thats why I v-banded all my connections
lol, funny edit... His pipes have a "anti-compressor surge" feature to protect the turbo... Pretty nifty!

Hairspray huh? Time to go through my wife's drawers.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

the factory Tial 11psi spring doesn't open until 22 inches...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hairspray huh? Time to go through my wife's drawers.
I seem to remember reading about some of the big guns doing that several years ago...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

the factory Tial 11psi spring doesn't open until 22 inches...

DAMN, I just saw that chart lol,

that spring is definitely not for his set-up!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, I'm very happy with the vacuum level.
The BOV is on a welded stainless 3" section about mid length on the up pipe from the bottom of the FMIC and the elbow going horizontal to the MAF. It has a dedicated 6mm line to the drivers side intake manifold. I'm going to pop open the hood and actuate the TB to see if the BOV is articulating/moving.
I wanted the TS Megasonic but I was pinched for time and bought local since no one seemed to carry the TSMS in stock. Now I'm having trouble finding (locally) a 2.5" to 3.0" reducer in silicone to mate the output of the turbo to the inlet of the Intercooler. I want to replace the one I have.

That was with an old Greddy.

I'm running a Turbosmart Megasonic Type 3... One spring, and it will hold an unlimited amount of boost... Extremely adjustable too... Can go VERY soft/hard depending on vacuum conditions/boost. Adjustable by hand, not tools needed.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Launching!

heres a simple answer.. the tial 50mm BOV comes with the 11 pound spring... mine wasnt working either when i first installed it.. so me being me i just cut the spring untill it started opening.. works out to cuting off about a coil and a half.. (alittle less than 2 coils)

also, you got a different problem if your charge pipes blow off when you let off the gas.. (clamps are not tight enough)
Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

All is good now. I polled the local Houston Fbuds for any kind of Turbo arena whether Import or not. I received a reply that "SGP Racing" (http://www.sgpracing.com) was a good place, along with several others. Well, with SGP being pleasantly close to my office, I drove over there. The shop foreman, Johnny, was super nice and helpful. I told him about the issue and stated that I felt part of the issue was that when I trimmed the elbow to fit into the compressor outlet of the Turbo, I lost the 'retention bead' on the end of the pipe. Johnny felt that was the main culprit so he had me pull the car into one of the 5 stalls of the facility, then he got out his creeper, got under the car, pulled off the elbow, chucked it into a bead roller, setting up two new beads, put it back on, stood up, shook my hand and said "Go enjoy your car, no charge". I protested that he was due *something" at the very least. But he insisted. I tested the new beading on the way to the house. I saw 12 psi w/o even pushing it hard and shifted the T56 tranny thru 4 gears and the intercooler pipe stayed on perfectly. I will be going back to SGP for the rest of my Turbo related needs.

I'll order the Tial 7 and 9 psi springs thru the 'net.

Originally Posted by jeffboy757
heres a simple answer.. the tial 50mm BOV comes with the 11 pound spring... mine wasnt working either when i first installed it.. so me being me i just cut the spring untill it started opening.. works out to cuting off about a coil and a half.. (alittle less than 2 coils)

also, you got a different problem if your charge pipes blow off when you let off the gas.. (clamps are not tight enough)
Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn, cool ******* guy!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bead rolling is definatly the way to go. Congrats on getting it fixed

Quick Reply: What PSI spring are you running in your Turbo BOV?