Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just ran my STS Rag top Trans am at the track.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just ran my STS Rag top Trans am at the track.

I just ran the car. It is a 6sp ls1. All stock except the turbo and intercooler. I ran 13.368 sec 2.334 60footer and 109.39 mph trap speed. I think I'm going to have to change the clutch. If I dumped it off the line it would slip if I got into boost too quick and also flare between shifts.(I haven't cause the diff is stock and I figure once I get a gripier clutch then .... to the rear end) It was pretty hot and muggy out on Friday also. I am running 7psi, do you think the stock engine could handle more?? running 91 octane. I was going to crank it up a bit but the line up was huge and didn't feel like waiting around.
I wasn't really that impressed I was hoping to be in the 12's. It seems faster on the street because ot the 4000rpm's worth of turbo lag. Does the heat wrap on the exhaust help much with this?
Thanks,C
Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these cars run 106mph or better stock, wonder if something is broken?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Teching In

On my sts stock ls1 convert Z28 6spd with 5psi, I made 421 rwhp & ran a 12.402 at 116.20 mph. 60' 1.981 street tires. Your car seems down on power. Is it tuned and what hp are you making? Also I have long tube headers not wraped and no intercooler. I have since change my set up.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spaz1
I just ran the car. It is a 6sp ls1. All stock except the turbo and intercooler. I ran 13.368 sec 2.334 60footer and 109.39 mph trap speed. I think I'm going to have to change the clutch. If I dumped it off the line it would slip if I got into boost too quick and also flare between shifts.(I haven't cause the diff is stock and I figure once I get a gripier clutch then .... to the rear end) It was pretty hot and muggy out on Friday also. I am running 7psi, do you think the stock engine could handle more?? running 91 octane. I was going to crank it up a bit but the line up was huge and didn't feel like waiting around.
I wasn't really that impressed I was hoping to be in the 12's. It seems faster on the street because ot the 4000rpm's worth of turbo lag. Does the heat wrap on the exhaust help much with this?
Thanks,C
Stock mainfolds wrap exhaust, and a clutch should help you I would not turn it up untill you have it tuned for the extra boost.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

It is tuned for boost, it ran 14.2 at 100mph stock. I think I have the power the mph is there I just have to get the car to launch better.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, work on the 60ft...a 2.3 is going to eat a lot of our time on the big end. You'll end up in the mid to low 12s if you can pull the 60ft to around a 1.7.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

whats your DA? 14.2 seems pretty slow for stock...
Old 07-27-2008, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks,C
Couple points + a couple Q's.

1st...yes, wrapping the exhaust makes a big difference in lag times. Definetly wrap the exhaust. Stock manifolds ae your friend too w/ the STS to aid in building boost faster.

Your 60' times are in definite need of improvement. A slipping clutch isn't helping you either. Need to address both those issues (ie clutch + traction.) I had excellent results w/ the Textralia OZ700. Might want to give that one a look.

Your MPH is not what it should be for 7PSI. Slipping clutch or not, you should be trapping 114-117mph. Are you "short-shifting"? You need to tach her up to 6400-6500RPM to get the most from the boost. Shifting at 6K will be leaving some mph and ET on the table.

Next.... is the car MAF or SD tuned. SD 2-bar will help track times as it allows the Ve table to be tuned for "part boost". In MAF mode, the car can be a bit sluggish in 1st and 2nd...as the tuning for AFR has to be good for the upper gears where load is increased. It results in too much fuel being added in the low gears on a M6 car....which results in disappointing 1/8 mph and overall crappy 1/4 mile ET.

Finally, if MAF tuned....is the car running to it's full potential? What I really mean is to check for oil vapor on the MAF. STS systems w/ unmodified oil systems (ie stock pump + no restrictor) like to mist the intake pipes w/ oil blowby. This will get on the MAF and absolutely murder HP, as the MAF resistors can't accurately meter airflow when they have a coat of oil on them. Causes the car to sound great....but run like it's NA.

Good luck. You'll get things sorted out
Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schantin

Your MPH is not what it should be for 7PSI. Slipping clutch or not, you should be trapping 114-117mph. Are you "short-shifting"? You need to tach her up to 6400-6500RPM to get the most from the boost. Shifting at 6K will be leaving some mph and ET on the table.

Good luck. You'll get things sorted out

Don't forget the valvesprings
Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Don't forget the valvesprings
Ye....I was making the assumption those were upgraded when the turbo was installed/tuned...... Good point though
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks,C
check out my build. get a new clutch, don't worry about the rearend yet. If you are going to dump the clutch and beat the ever loving **** out of your transmission & clutch & drivetrain components then while you are buying a clutch buy a rearend too... cuz no matter what you do, unless you ease off from beating the ever loving **** out of it you are going to break MULTIPLE things.

yes wrap helps. do you have an intercooler? they say 8psi the stock motor TUNED CORRECTLY will be fine
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i would definitely change the valve springs. I was getting quite noticable float at 8lbs
Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Upgraded Valve springs (valve train) and boost go hand in hand, for sure.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

DA is usually above 5000feet, haven't upgraded the valvesprings, shifting just over 6000rpm. Running the ati procharger 3.5" twin intercoolers. Tried it with meth and without meth not difference. Just running the maf tune, it is a bit weird sometimes if it is warmer out it seems like it leans out. Still see some slight knock retard hear and there. I left the wastgate dump how the kit came. Do you think it could be sucking the exhaust back into the air filter? (IDK just a thought)
Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe that the exhaust from the wastegate would kill 10+mph in your trap speeds.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WHo tuned your car?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check a few things but first things first...

The car is a convertible. Right off the bat you are at a disadvantage as far as weight goes.

Second, you're driving in 5000ft DA?! Enough said there....

You're running twin ATI intercoolers; are you getting your boost reference off of the turbo compressor or the intake manifold? I would bet that you are seeing at least a lb of boost drop at 7psi through those little things so if you tapped boost reference off of the compressor you are probably only running 6lbs.

You don't know for sure that you are experiencing valve float but regardless, some comp 918 springs, titanium retainers, and pushrods would definitely be a good investment and isn't a big deal to install. One less thing to worry about....

I don't know how well that stock cam is working for you with the STS kit. A better cam will give you more naturally aspirated power and the right duration will help it spool alot sooner, making the car MUCH more fun to just drive around because you don't have to rev it like a Honda S2000 to get into the powerband. I'm not very well versed in the STS kit but I remember everyone talking about how well the Lingenfelter GT2-3 was working with the STS kits in helping it spool sooner. The specs on the '01 ZO6 cam are close to the GT2-3:
01 ZO6: 204/211 .525/.525 -116 LSA
GT2: 205/212 .540/.540 –116.5CL
Those two would be a good choice if you want stock-like driveability. Both of those cams are considered very mild and will idle and drive just like stock. You could go even bigger then that if you wanted to, of course. Give STS or an STS dealer a call and ask them what they have used that works. Tell them what you want and I'm sure they can help you. For $375-$425, it's very cheap hp and will really compliment the kit.

Wrap your exhaust. Again, it's too cheap not to do and will help the exhaust retain heat and velocity which will further aid in earlier spooltime to help get in your powerband faster.

You said you are bone stock. What year is your car? If it is a 98-00, an LS6 manifold will yield another 20rwhp or so at the same boost level.

Like Ninetres said, who tuned your car? Knock is bad, mmmkay.

Quick Reply: Just ran my STS Rag top Trans am at the track.