Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cleaning engine bay concerns? Turbo/headerwrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning engine bay concerns? Turbo/headerwrap

I need to clean my engine bay because it is filthy after working on it for 2 months and having the hood open the entire time.

Problem is I now have a turbo/turbo blanket, and all the pipes on the drivers side are wraped.

Will spraying the engine bay down affect anything?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have access to air, that might be the best way to get the loose stuff out - with the airtrigger. Other than that, degreaser on a rag, then some quick wax to the fenders to shine them up. I'm leary about shooting mine with a spray all over it (esp. water) because I have 3 breathers on my motor that I don't wanna get wet.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from degreasers and detergent base cleaners. That **** will get in the wrap and stink for days. I used a toliet brush and low pressure to clean mine, oh and a little simple green.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have some simple green. The stuff works awesome! =)

But can i still spray the engine down? or should spray a little water and try to clean it with a rag.

Any think to worry about when it comes to getting the header wrap wet?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

When you wrapped the pipes did you spray that sealer stuff on the wrap? If not then do not get it wet. On top of stinking it will rot out the wrap. At least that is what I have always heard.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrapping the pipes, I soaked the wrap in water before wrapping. It went on tight, so now it doesnt really absorb much. I wash mine like any other thing. Degrease it and wash it. Usually dries out instantly...it does get hot ya know. And ive never had any funny smell after.
Only way I see it rotting is if it stayed wet for awhile.... Start it up and drive it afterwords... Heat dries it out. Mine has been on for 2 years, washed all the time, driven in the rain, still looks as good as the day I wrapped it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill keep that in mind.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Wrapping the pipes, I soaked the wrap in water before wrapping. It went on tight, so now it doesnt really absorb much. I wash mine like any other thing. Degrease it and wash it. Usually dries out instantly...it does get hot ya know. And ive never had any funny smell after.
Only way I see it rotting is if it stayed wet for awhile.... Start it up and drive it afterwords... Heat dries it out. Mine has been on for 2 years, washed all the time, driven in the rain, still looks as good as the day I wrapped it.
x2 on soaking it before i wrapped it.

it actually says to use water in the instructions. water will not hurt the wrap as long as you heat cycle your engine to dry the wrap out. but the more chemicals you use the stranger its going to smell as its drying out.

Quick Reply: Cleaning engine bay concerns? Turbo/headerwrap