Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo exhaust question

Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Turbo exhaust question

Im running 2.5" downpipes with my twins, Thats what came with the kit. The mufflers I was planning on running were my Borla "S" type mufflers and they are also 2.5", thats the only size they come in. My question is would it be worth even to run 3" pipe between the DP's and the mufflers? or Should I just keep the entire exhaust all 2.5"? Would it be worth any power to go 3" after the 2.5" DPs and buy 3" mufflers? Id like to say with a dual exhaust. Let me hear you guys ideas.

I will be running dual cutouts

Last edited by 30th t/a; 08-03-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely run dual 3" all the way out. 2 1/2 pipe will be a pretty good restriction. Plus it will make a noticable difference on spool time. I personally have seen improvements running a big stepped exhaust on my turb going from 3 1/2" off the turb to 4" under the car. just my two cents
Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run 3" pipe back to the mufflers, run a 3" to 2.5" merge reducer right before the mufflers then continue 2.5" out to tips. You could see how much the cutouts help, if you see a significant gain with them open, buy electric plates for them. The s type's are badass mufflers and sound awesome, but could prove to be pretty restrictive just do to the reduction in pipe diameter. Try and run stainless pipe if possible when you build the system, and place them as far back as you can and run a large diameter tip if you're after the corvette sound. I had them on my car when I was N/A and they sounded similar, but not quite as good and didn't get as high pitched on WOT as I'd hoped though.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
Run 3" pipe back to the mufflers, run a 3" to 2.5" merge reducer right before the mufflers then continue 2.5" out to tips. You could see how much the cutouts help, if you see a significant gain with them open, buy electric plates for them. The s type's are badass mufflers and sound awesome, but could prove to be pretty restrictive just do to the reduction in pipe diameter. Try and run stainless pipe if possible when you build the system, and place them as far back as you can and run a large diameter tip if you're after the corvette sound. I had them on my car when I was N/A and they sounded similar, but not quite as good and didn't get as high pitched on WOT as I'd hoped though.
Thats exactly how I have it now. I just think going from 2-1/2" DPs into 3" then back down into 2-1/2" mufflers is kinda a waste. I might has well do 2-1/2" the whole way. It sounds like I will go 2-1/2" DPs then dual 3" out the back. Ill just have to find some different mufflers.

I wonder what twin turbos sound like with NO mufflers at all. Just 3" exhaust back to the tips??

thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo exhaust question