Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS TT Tubing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS TT Tubing Problems

Hello there fellow LS1 junkies. My name is Adam, i am not new to this board just have never posted anything on my old account. I have had the APS twin turbo kit in my car for quite a while, I got one of the first 50 thanks to Peter I have had a shop called zeus performance put the kit in my car along with a new.... err basically everything from motor to rear end. They did a great job and have backed all the work that they can. HOWEVER, i have been having some problems with the APS system itself, and I am posting here to see if any of you have not had the same problem.

The hoses from the turbo to the intercooler hit my sway bar!!!!
so much in fact that it has caused the pipes to crack on both sides. here are some pictures:

Now i have already been in contact with David- the director of engineering at APS about the problems, but am shocked to hear that their answer was that it is an installer error, and that in regards to the tubes i should install the sway bar so that the tubes don't hit the sway bar. Yeah sounds simple but there is NO WAY to do that unless you drop the sway bar down with a bracket (which is not mentioned or recomended). But then the car would act like there wasn't a sway bar at all, thus really defeating the purpose of having it in the first place. They were also quite rude in regards to the shop that did the work. (Zeus Performance) stating that they were basically incompetent and not experienced. Where as the shop is a specialized shop that works 95% on only fbodies so this is not a moonlight repiar shop or anything like that.

David- the gentleman from APS that I was talking to said that he has never heard of this problem and says that I am the only one who is complaining so it must be my installer. However, i live in North Carolina, there are 2 more cars set up just like mine (they are camaros though) I have talked to them and they BOTH have the same problem.

Basically what i am asking here: has anyone else had this problem with the tubes hitting the sway bar. if so please respond and try to post a picture so i can show the guys at APS I am not alone
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

i had the same thing happen to me i had to use shorter links to fix it sorrry no pics
you are not alone LOL
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

ok TY for posting so quick, the count is at 4
Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomz28
i had the same thing happen to me i had to use shorter links to fix it sorrry no pics
you are not alone LOL
More info please! What kind of links did you use?

I have the same problem and I know Darren P does too. So that's four of us now that have installed it wrong then

Mine has put a dent in the pipe also but is not cracked yet. I really want to fix the problem as the sound makes me cringe when it hits.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i have heard mine hit before also and there is witness marks on the pipe from the sway bar and it coming into contact, but it hasn cracked or anything.

After reading that many others also have this same issue, it goes to show it is not an improper install issue.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

I have the exact same problem with my sway bar, I disconnected the ends and have just left it hanging on the car
Old 08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Same problem here. When i go down the road and hit a bump i hear it on the passenger side. At first i thought i left something loose but i noticed the intercooler pipe is sitting right on my sway bar. NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its not right that APS is basically blowing you off. Even worse there blowing us all off.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ws6taguy

Basically what i am asking here: has anyone else had this problem with the tubes hitting the sway bar. if so please respond and try to post a picture so i can show the guys at APS I am not alone
I just read your post and I have asked engineering to check our F body to see if there's adequate clearance. I'll get back to you as soon as engineering has checked over our F body pipes.

Peter
Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

peter, thank you sir for looking into this for me.

If it works on your car and no one elses then i would question your car, either that or none of our installers Kelly, Darren, Nasty, Superman, Tom or myself have compitent installers in that reguard??????

the other person I have been dealing with at APS has stated in email that they do not touch on the APS car. but he wont tell me what he did to achieve that only label my installer as incompitent. and no where in the instructions given by your company does it say anything about modifying any bracket or suspension. except to put a small washer on the bracket which if anything might drop it 1mm. but that is far not enough. I look forward to your responce. I will also be sending you a PM for another mater that needs your attention

Last edited by ws6taguy; 08-15-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: took a different approach :D
Old 08-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Launching!

they were most likely rude to you because i imagine tons of people are calling them complaining about their product ...and want a solution
Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

I wonder if the car that APS has uses a stock Sway Bar

mine hits bad and there is no way to move it up any farther
Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

i have yet to put my stocker back on but mine also hit the aftermarket Spohn bar i had on the car, so much so that i had to remove it.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DAMN. Looks all of you guys need to ditch the sissy bar
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was going to hit so I just took it off for the time being. I know theres a shop that makes a drop down bracket for $75 bucks but haven't bought it yet.

I was kind of pissed, but I just thought it was because my car was lowered, Not the case I see.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
DAMN. Looks all of you guys need to ditch the sissy bar

I did
Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jeffboy757
they were most likely rude to you because i imagine tons of people are calling them complaining about their product ...and want a solution

They said that no one has ever complained about this problem so now we are almost to 10 people,just in the 1 day this has been posted

they are using a sway bar as per thier instructions,

so simply saying to take it out and not use one is not the right answer
Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ws6taguy
They said that no one has ever complained about this problem so now we are almost to 10 people,just in the 1 day this has been posted

they are using a sway bar as per thier instructions,

so simply saying to take it out and not use one is not the right answer
Who suggested that to you?

Peter
Old 08-14-2008, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Darren P
I wonder if the car that APS has uses a stock Sway Bar

mine hits bad and there is no way to move it up any farther
Yes, F body our car uses the stock sway bar and has sufficient clearance. This may not be the case with an aftermarket sway bar.

Peter
Old 08-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

im sorry peter, who suggested what to me?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Who suggested that to you?

Peter

I was making a joke because I am into the straight line stuff. I understand not all are, I was just poking fun!

Quick Reply: APS TT Tubing Problems