Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bigger air filter= less boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bigger air filter= less boost?

Okay here is the deal, i swapped (on my d1 procharger) from a 4.25 inch to a four inch pulley (i should get about 2 more lbs of boost). Anyway i also i have been eyeing the bigger filter (pacecetter filter) in my jeep ,that i have had for the last year, to swap out for the smaller one that came with the d1 kit. So i did this all at the same time, and i swear i am not seeing anymore boost (not much above 6 psi). also exactly how tight should that belt be?. I tightened it to where there is about .25 inch movement each way. could this not be tight enough? Here is a pic of why i choose this filter. the one this i disliked about procharger is the location of the air filter. I actually fabbed mine to sit vertically. this is a pic of under the fuse boxes under the hood on the front drivers side. shitty pic i know. Any input appreciated! ps. i also read some older threads and that said with less resistance you get less boost as well. it made me think that with a true dual exhaust would that also kill boost a bit?
Attached Thumbnails Bigger air filter= less boost?-0831081758.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Less resistance on the inlet side of the blower should equal more boost, not less.

I would suspect belt slip. If you can turn the longest section of belt 90 degrees easily, the belt is too loose. You should barely be able to turn it sideways.

Dual exhaust can lower boost as your overall pumping through the motor goes up, but having any restriction before the blower only chokes the entire system, reducing boost and total air throughput.

Jim
Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using the same belt as the 4.25" pulley, then the belt is too long and you are getting belt slippage. Ideally the belt should only be turned up about 30 degree using your fingers. Keep in mind this is a ruff ballpark checking method.

Quick Reply: Bigger air filter= less boost?