Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS twin turbo sound questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS twin turbo sound questions

A was thinking of putting a APS twin turbo system on my F-Bird. Does anyone have this kit on their ls1 or have been in a car with an APS twin turbo? I want to know how APS turbo's sound when your in the car? Can you hear the turbos spooling when you mash the throttle or is it nothing like that? Could somene let me know what my car will sound like when im driving it with the APS, im never been in a V8 twin turbo car before.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you need a k member for your car the aps twin turbo kit was designed around our k member. Our k member is 24 lbs lighter than the stock k member and when combined with our a arms you drop 34 lbs. I will post you a link to our site. If you have any questions please give us a call, im in the office weekdays until 6pm est.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think they are as loud as top mounted setups. Being under the car likely damps them down some. Also the blow offs they give you are pretty quiet and recirc types. Person could just run them open to atmosphere and block off the holes in the tubes or upgrade to louder blow offs which I am likely to do. They would be louder if they had no rubber inlet piping I would think. In my dsm cars you put in hard pipes to replace the factory rubber and the turbo sounds get much louder.

I guess its a matter or stealth versus in your face turbos. Top mount systems are intimidating when you pop the hood and can be easier to work on the turbos but sometimes not the engine and sometime things have to go like air conditioning or you have to relocate alternator etc. There have been a fair amount of aps videos on here now if you search back a bit. I would say they are not going to be super stealthy once they are in full boost.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

With a cut-out open you can hear them alot louder than with a cat-back exhaust.

The blow sound is very light. If you have the radio going about 1/3 way you wont be able to hear them.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I have cutout so that is good to hear. And you could try just getting think someone said walker type plugs and then run the aps blow offs open and see how they sound. But aftermarket loud ones are definitely in my future. No stealth for me. I like my turbos loud and my blow offs loud as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Interlizer130
A was thinking of putting a APS twin turbo system on my F-Bird. Does anyone have this kit on their ls1 or have been in a car with an APS twin turbo? I want to know how APS turbo's sound when your in the car? Can you hear the turbos spooling when you mash the throttle or is it nothing like that? Could somene let me know what my car will sound like when im driving it with the APS, im never been in a V8 twin turbo car before.
I was in a c6 with aps not too long ago- with the included diverter valves you can DEFINITELY hear it, and hear spool up.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

What does it matter really......

You're getting it for the power...............right? Otherwise...thats one expensive sound system. You'd be better off getting an electric supercharger.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6

You're getting it for the power...............right? Otherwise...thats one expensive sound system. You'd be better off getting an electric supercharger.
bump.lmao
Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually might be a bit ricer but like the sound of spooling turbos..very jet engine like and like the sound of loud blow offs.And of course open cutouts as well.
So it better not be too quiet. I have heard other twin turbo cars and they sounded like a freight train going by at full boost. They shrieked they screamed they sounded like the batmobile.
My 97 talon sounds pretty good with its big garett. Twins should sound even better.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

ill be getting a sound clip this weekend. if hurricane Hanna lets me pull my car out of the garage. there is a HUGE difference between the open and catback setups. I will have some by the early week
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6

Of course i'm getting it for the performance, but if i could have a great sound at the same time then why not? The sound of the turbo makes you alot more in tune with the car and what's happening, i love the sound of a turbo spooling up, just my opinion.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

With mine through complete exhaust you could hear faint turbo at cruising, but nothing like my old setup on open DPs. Once you mash it all you hear from inside the cabin is a large amount of crisp air wooooshing. The cleanest sounding car i've ever heard honestly, thing sounded amazing. I also dumped the stock APS BOVs and they were pretty loud and sounded good! Definitely made them noticeable vs when they were recirculated. Hope this helps!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

They are not very loud on the f-cars. I can hear mine when I start the car, but I have to be paying attention. Most people don't notice. That pretty much sums up the whole experience. The sound is there, but you need to be paying attention. Of course, when you whack open the throttle all you can hear is "wooosh!". Same goes for the BOV's, but venting to atmosphere will help that.

I took a video months ago for some guys interested in LM1 exhaust with the kit. It's on my myspace.

Myspace.com/T_A_WS6_M6
Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

With all of the APS setups out there, doesn't someone have a sounclip for the guy?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody have a link to a video?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

There was a guy on here that had some clips on youtube of his WS6 with the APS tt kit going through a GMMG. Sounded amazing.

It's what I planned to do except adding the DMH low profile cutouts on the y-pipe to go open downpipe every once in a while .
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by myfast70
With all of the APS setups out there, doesn't someone have a sounclip for the guy?
I will go and make one tommorow (sunday) the hurricane skiped us so it is out and running
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6taguy
I will go and make one tommorow (sunday) the hurricane skiped us so it is out and running
NICe!!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Like I said above, there are a couple of videos on my myspace. Does anyone read?

http://www.myspace.com/T_A_WS6_M6

Go there, there's one directly on my page and I have a slide of videos at the top that will have a few more.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

What was the best sounding turbo kit on an f-body any of you have ever heard?

Quick Reply: APS twin turbo sound questions