Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GZ vacuum pump on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GZ vacuum pump on my car?

I'd never really considered adding a vacuum pump but it does make sense and I know they help boosted engines. I don't think I have any real blow by and the car runs fine but under boost the only PCV I have is a 3/8 hose going to my blower inlet. I'm sure that keeps the crankcase from getting excessive pressure buildup but some real vacuum might net me a few ponies and keep the oil cleaner.

My real question is about reliability. I street drive my car frequently, probably 2000 miles a year at max (more like 500 but I can dream lol) and wonder how well this setup will handle that? I ASSume that if its properly setup that it is beneficial to the motor in all conditions, not just WOT? I don't want to increase any wear or anything, just the opposite really.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:05 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should be something to consider when you are looking at picking up hundredths of a second in ET.

It adds weight and complexity and not that much power, for a street car a fresh air/PCV is the way to go IMO.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:21 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
That should be something to consider when you are looking at picking up hundredths of a second in ET.

It adds weight and complexity and not that much power, for a street car a fresh air/PCV is the way to go IMO.

You know, I was getting online today and planned to check your build that USED to be in your sig but was disappointed to see it was gone. I wanted to see what you had since we have similar builds (even though yours is just ever so slightly faster).

What I have now is the drivers side VC hooked to the nipple on the passenger rear VC and a hose from the front pass. VC nipple to the blower inlet. Then I have the stock PCV setup with a separator inline, which is useless under boost.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
You know, I was getting online today and planned to check your build that USED to be in your sig but was disappointed to see it was gone. I wanted to see what you had since we have similar builds (even though yours is just ever so slightly faster).

What I have now is the drivers side VC hooked to the nipple on the passenger rear VC and a hose from the front pass. VC nipple to the blower inlet. Then I have the stock PCV setup with a separator inline, which is useless under boost.

I dont run anything to the blower inlet, thats great if you want to suck in some oil and keep the inside of your charge pipes coated. But it does eliminate dripping valve cover breathers if you have a fair amount of blowby, but so does a remote valve cover breather(s).

I just use a PCV with an AMW catch can and a check valve and breathers on the valve covers, thats it. I have thought of doing a vacuum pump on occasion, but I dont think my car would benefit from it much to be honest. But it may be worth it to you.

My web page is still there but its bandwidth limited so after like 2 meg xfer a month they shut it down until the next month - what do you want for free

It should be working now though:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~kpevin/
Old 09-07-2008, 06:17 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I guess I don't understand the point of a PCV system with breathers? Its just gonna suck air through it, right? I thought the idea was to actually get some vacuum on the crankcase?

I did some playing around with it today. I'm pretty sure I was pressurizing the crankcase a little. My PCV wasn't sealing under boost (I could blow through it) and there was no check valve. I am gonna set it up like Mighty Mouses system for now. I noticed some oil around the valve covers too. I have also been getting this burning smell when I make a pass, we couldn't figure it out. No smoke, no high temps, fluids all look good. I think oil was dripping on the headers.

I modified my 4" inlet also today to fit better and while I had the hose off that went to the VC I got some oil out of it. I really like the idea of having it hooked up for a little vacuum so I'm gonna put a separator in it. FWIW, I have NO oil in my ic piping at all, I check it frequently. You can wipe it with a white rag and its clean.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
I'd never really considered adding a vacuum pump but it does make sense and I know they help boosted engines. I don't think I have any real blow by and the car runs fine but under boost the only PCV I have is a 3/8 hose going to my blower inlet. I'm sure that keeps the crankcase from getting excessive pressure buildup but some real vacuum might net me a few ponies and keep the oil cleaner.

My real question is about reliability. I street drive my car frequently, probably 2000 miles a year at max (more like 500 but I can dream lol) and wonder how well this setup will handle that? I ASSume that if its properly setup that it is beneficial to the motor in all conditions, not just WOT? I don't want to increase any wear or anything, just the opposite really.

Thanks for any feedback!
I know something about vacuum pumps on a daily driver, used to sell them as a matter of fact. I'll also add that I made the first kits for the LS1 and sold GZ Motorsports the drive mechanism to clone for their pumps.

That being stated, save your money. Run a sealed PCV system, with the proper size lines, check valves and oil separator instead. You will have vacuum at idle and all crusing conditions (seals the crankcase nicely) and under WOT any pressure will be properly separated and returned without adding oil to the system.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

One of those pumps is an absolute no-go for street driving. Even if you don't have problems throwing belts, you still have to worry about pump wear from low rpm driving. They need to suck a certain amount of oil through them to lube the pump. I tried a GZ pump a while back, and recieved a pulley that was machined incorrectly. Not only was the depth of the bearing wrong, but the pressed in bearing was loose enough to allow the pulley to walk a few thousandths under load.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wether you go with the pump or not, I still recommend removing that vacuum line that goes to the blower inlet hat. All it seemed to do in my setup was fill the pipes and intercooler with oil. I had fun cleaning them up lol.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Wether you go with the pump or not, I still recommend removing that vacuum line that goes to the blower inlet hat. All it seemed to do in my setup was fill the pipes and intercooler with oil. I had fun cleaning them up lol.

Yeah, I'll delete it. Should have my new catch can and check valves today.

My plan is to run my PCV valve in the drivers side grommet, going to a catch can, to check valve, to intake. I'll run a Metco breather on the oil fill. That leaves one port on the passenger VC which is currently going to the blower inlet with a separator. I suppose it can be capped.