Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate Spring or Manual Boost Controller??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Wastegate Spring or Manual Boost Controller??

Well, I had been telling myself all along "I'm going to tune this on 7-8psi and see what it makes to get used to it and hopefully make the tranny last". I have realized, I want to make power. I built this thing to rip on it and go all out with it, not halfass it. I'm having it tuned in 2 bar SD the first week of october, and I'm gonna do it to it.

So...the wastegate is a Tial 38mm. It currently has a .5 bar spring in it. I intend on having the car tuned to what the 98 ECU will support, 14.7psi and won't be changing it (always this boost). Would I be better off purchasing a manual controller to have the car tuned at this boost level? Or would I be better off opening up the wastegate and changing the spring out to a .9 or 1 bar spring? The previous owner of the kit saw a little bit of creep (about a pound) with the .6 bar spring that it came with...so this made me think maybe an actual controller would provide more consistent boost level. Which option will be more consistent as far as keeping the boost the same level all the time?

Quick Reply: Wastegate Spring or Manual Boost Controller??