Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ok please help me figure out this oil pump and timing chain decision..

Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ok please help me figure out this oil pump and timing chain decision..

I got a melling 296 pump. I am sure its missing stuff as it dont have the low pressure spring and it don't have any o rings with it. Think they fell out of the box somewhere. Will be calling on that issue tommorrow.

Have a few problems and questions..
I have 408 iron built with callies crank,callies rods. wiseco pistons. not sure on clearances and that stuff. I didn't do the motor..long story..can try to find out more info on it soon.

Anyway figure the 296 high pressure spring might be too high for my aps turbos for oil pressure and might need restrictors and don't really want to mess with that. So thats was why was going with the missing low pressure spring.

But now hearing that single timing chains like ls2 or whatever are not a good idea looking at my mods. I am obviously going for some big power here. And many are saying could break single chain. So back to wanting a double chain. But the 296 dont' work well with double chain and dont want to mod hell out of the timing cover or pump to get things to fit.

So should I go with the melling 295 and maybe put low pressure spring in it?
It fits like stock pump with double chains right? yes? no?

Or go to ported ls6 but some are shimmed, and not sure shimmed might give me too much oil pressure with my aps turbos??.
Could I guess go for stock ls6 pump and then of course can use double chain.

I am all messed up here and have to decide something asap if want my car to be done finally.

So what are you big power turbo guys running for oil pumps and timing chains not sure if it matters I have the built stroker if that means I have different requirements for oil volume and pressure ?? My engine was built as a street motor not a race engine so would think clearances and all that were taken into account for street use.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the melling and a double roller but there is some clearencing that you will have to do.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok but don't really want to muck with it. So think get ls6 ported possibly not shimmed or melling 295 if it don't need no mucking! think I should for sure get double chain. Does any company make a non adjustable double going to just put my cam in straight up.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

you can use a SLP pump with a double roller, it doesnt need to be shimmed and will give you plenty of oil pressure. its what i used on my 402 and havent had any issues thus far. hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok Tnt so you mean the internal shimming or you mean the shims that have to be installed under the pump to clear the double roller? What make of double roller are you running is it the combo that slp sells? I assume all double rollers need the shims under the pump to be installed. I am actually running a double roller in my ls1 and think stock ls6 pump. It was put in a long time ago when did my cam. So its a bit blurry now.I don't even remember using shims under the pump.

Anyone know for sure if the melling 295 works with no mods with a double roller that would be another choice for me.

I have to order something next day or so my whole project is on hold between this and figuing out when arp studs to get depending on what year my block is and deciding whether to run cometics or ls7 head gaskets on my afr 225s.

On a positive note my 408 is finally in my garage not vaporware and can see the end of my 99 project finally.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

I used this timing chain..
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=850&catid=53

with this oil pump..
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=55001
Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can that double roller work with a LQ9 or any LS1 based motor?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

not sure....better off checkin with TSP on that.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Tnt did you use the high pressure or low pressure spring..? Any worries with the slp sucking too much oil out of the pan ? Any problem with oil out the turbo seals if you used the high pressure spring? Are you running restrictors in the turbo oil feeds?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

im pretty certain its the high pressure spring...ill double check with my builder. im not running any restrictors on the turbos. no issues with the turbo seals leaking either. it doesnt suck the pan dry...atleast as far as i know.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

You would know pretty quick if it sucked the pan dry! LOL engine would be fubar very quickly. Problem would likely happen only at high sustained rpm. Think more like road racing type of thing. I am not planning on doing that with my car so think should be fine.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

thats what i was thinkin...im sure i would know if that happened.. its been a good set up thus far though....im very happy with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok please help me figure out this oil pump and timing chain decision..