Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3 bar map and can I still run my maf for awhile.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 3 bar map and can I still run my maf for awhile.

I was thinking to go to speed density and two bar is maybe a bit too low ,don't really need three bar but whatever. But am wondering. Can I put in the 3 bar sensor and still run a maf for awhile at lower power levels?
Seems easier to put one in now with engine install and they are pretty cheap.
So just get the adater and the sensor and good to go? Are there base tunes on hptuners site .I run hptuners but have not really looked at speed density before.
Is a 2 bar much easier to tune than 3 bar?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I was thinking to go to speed density and two bar is maybe a bit too low ,don't really need three bar but whatever. But am wondering. Can I put in the 3 bar sensor and still run a maf for awhile at lower power levels?
Seems easier to put one in now with engine install and they are pretty cheap.
So just get the adater and the sensor and good to go? Are there base tunes on hptuners site .I run hptuners but have not really looked at speed density before.
Is a 2 bar much easier to tune than 3 bar?
No, you can't continue running the MAF with the 2 or 3-bar MAPS. The 2 and 3 bar tuning software is an entire rewrite in the PCM and deletes the MAF. The 2/3 bar MAP sensors send erroneous readings to the PCM when the stock 1-bar operating system software is installed and the car will run very lean (and generally run like crap), even at idle.

Changing the sensor is actually easier than you think. I can reach my hand behind the intake and remove/reinstall in a matter of a minute. Run the stock sensor until you have the upgraded operating system (HP Tuners makes one). Install the system + sensor at the same time.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok..thanks for the heads up. So I should be ok with stock maf for awhile if keep the boost at 7ish think that is minimum gate on the aps twins.

Are there tunes that could copy to ge the car running at least with the 2 or 3 bar. Any negative to going 3 bar over 2 bar right off the bat in case do go past 15psi at some point. I will never go past 20 but might go a bit past 15. Might do the upgrade aps turbos not sure yet haven't installed the base turbos so could upgrade still.

And is it hard to get set for my 60 pound racetronix or just some simple table tweak?