Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What is a safe FI tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is a safe FI tune?

I keep reading how many are pushing stock blocks over 600 rwhp and lasting for some time. What everyone keeps saying is "its in the tune". Aside from keeping the air fuel ratio fat and low timing what else is there? Am I missing something?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No thats about all a safe tune is..keeping timing down and keeping afr not too lean. Checking scanner like a hawk for knock retard. Using decent gas or keeping boost low enough. I would stick to 8psi personally on stock block. I might go 10psi if you have lowered compression with heads. And have seen the results of more so if you can't afford a new engine don't crank it up. If you can well take your chances.

Better as safe 500rwhp than a short lived 600rwhp. And 500rwhp is still plenty on the street!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
No thats about all a safe tune is..keeping timing down and keeping afr not too lean. Checking scanner like a hawk for knock retard. Using decent gas or keeping boost low enough. I would stick to 8psi personally on stock block. I might go 10psi if you have lowered compression with heads. And have seen the results of more so if you can't afford a new engine don't crank it up. If you can well take your chances.

Better as safe 500rwhp than a short lived 600rwhp. And 500rwhp is still plenty on the street!
I agree, and all it takes is one tank of gas that is not what the label says it is for problems to occur. 8 psi will give you enough horsepower that you have to work on the chassis to get it to utilize the increase in power. Bob