Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Make my own turbo Kit or Used STS?
STS
46.67%
Make something out of a Ebay kit or just completely custom.
53.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Ebay kit or STS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ebay kit or STS kit?

Whats a better bang for the buck! I have a stock car i dont go to the strip i just like playing on the streets, i dont need 700rwhp or 600rwhp, but i want to have fun and be quick, I also want drive ability, i like how the car drives stock i dont have to let it warm up, its not crazy loud, so whats probly a better idea to get a used STS or make something out of a Ebay Kit. Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ebay kit seems to require more fabrication than a true STS would. If you get a good deal on a complete proven STS kit, I'd go that direction.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The ebay kit is not complete (minus intercooler plumbing, fuel system, wastegate, etc). Be prepared to piece it together if you go that route. STS is a complete kit and require less fabrication.

Also, the turbo that comes with the Ebay kit is a cheap Chinese knock off that probably won't last long under normal circumstances. I think a few people have ran it on this board. Pretty sure most replace it though with a better, more efficient turbo.

I voted for a Ebay kit or custom. I'm more of a fan of the front mount systems. Never cared for all the piping that needs to be ran for a rear mount.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...081&highlight=

lets just keep these threads together
Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STS is the beter of the too if ya do it right and do some exta fab to get the turbo up higher
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

STS turbo!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well which ever is cheaper in the long run is probly what i will do, unfortunitly im 21 and have a car payment, but i also want to play a lil! Why is the STS better?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Well which ever is cheaper in the long run is probly what i will do, unfortunitly im 21 and have a car payment, but i also want to play a lil! Why is the STS better?
if that is the case...get a cam and heads (or nitrous)!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Well theres a couple reasons a STS kit is going to be beter than a do it your selfer. I dont know if this is your daily driver but if it is than a the STS is going to be a big plus. If you build the kit yourself you going to be down for weeks and maybe even months. The STS kit comes to you ready to go. You can easily install it in one weekend. I've built turbo kits before. There fun to build but they take time and more money than you would think. The STS kit pipes come cerimic coated to keep the heat in so the turbo spools faster and the pipes stay cooler. So if you build your own kit and want the pipes coated.... Well thats going to add a few weeks. With a STS kit they have taken out all the guess work out. You simply bolt it up. Make real horsepower and have fun.

Justin
Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
Well theres a couple reasons a STS kit is going to be beter than a do it your selfer. I dont know if this is your daily driver but if it is than a the STS is going to be a big plus. If you build the kit yourself you going to be down for weeks and maybe even months. The STS kit comes to you ready to go. You can easily install it in one weekend. I've built turbo kits before. There fun to build but they take time and more money than you would think. The STS kit pipes come cerimic coated to keep the heat in so the turbo spools faster and the pipes stay cooler. So if you build your own kit and want the pipes coated.... Well thats going to add a few weeks. With a STS kit they have taken out all the guess work out. You simply bolt it up. Make real horsepower and have fun.

Justin
just what i could use, I want dirveability, i do drive my car a very lot! but winters coming so im trying to save
Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much money you setting aside for your build? That will tell you right away if you should turbo or not.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$3,000..... i would think that can get me started on a Used STS...... but i will add other things later to complete it.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if ur starting with 3k at least save up to 4500
used STS kit 2500
fuel pump 200
injectors 300
tune 500
gauges 500
stupid **** 300 to 400

total = 4300 adds up quick

thats all from my experience and i dont have the kit on the car yet i have everything besides a tune and im still need to buy random stuff.. hose clamps, tbolt clamps, hoses, wires, just stupid **** that adds up quickly

Last edited by witry; 10-07-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeppers.....its adds up really quick, esp. if you are starting from a custom or incomplete kit. That doesn't even include the price of parts that will start to break with the added HP levels. What exactly are you wanting to "play" with? I nice healthy cam, heads, and a tune can easily get you into the 400 HP range.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, i would think the turbo would gradually build boost and not be as bad on the drivetrain as a Cam and heads, i would think my rear end would last a bit longer in which the following year i would buy a rear end, but idk, i just mess around on the streets and i drove my car like everyday! I like being able to listen to music and drive around not being rediculously loud and such. But i want more fun too!!! I dont usually go from digs not many places besides a strip in which im not going to go there because ill blow up my rearend for sure then! Besides if i get a kit from someone it might come with the gauges and other things, bc it would probly be off there car.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads and cam sound like they'll be perfect for you seeing as you don't have much money to spend, that'll give you the FUN DRIVABILITY AND POWER you want!
Other than that support our sponsors and buy your parts from them...i.e STS.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah...a lot of new people to the turbo world I think get a bit over their head when it comes to how much money it realistically takes to get a reliable turbo'd V8. Hell, I wouldn't be here today if I didn't get such a great deal on my turbo'd Z28!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F/I is more expensive than they lead on, as stated. However, I really like the fact that I have no lope, no driveability issues, nothing. Unless I am in boost, it is a stock car. H/C/I is cheaper, to be sure. But everyone else on the block has the same thing, so what is the point?
The STS kit is not perfect, nor complete. No F/I kit is. But it is well thought out and easily modded for your requirements.
JMHO.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is heads and cam big time. Unless you save another 2k on top of what you have the FI is not for you. I have a rearmount there is one thing from sts that is still on my car and that is the wire harness and I dont even use that.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
My vote is heads and cam big time. Unless you save another 2k on top of what you have the FI is not for you. I have a rearmount there is one thing from sts that is still on my car and that is the wire harness and I dont even use that.
im with you you can do heads/cam/and intake and make more power then you will with one of those turbo kits NA