Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How did you guys run your harness for Nate/Lonnie's dual pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you guys run your harness for Nate/Lonnie's dual pumps?

I installed this setup in the car today & ran the wires/plug going over to the pumps through a big grommet on the driver's side,just over from the pumps & was going to mount my relays on the driver's side rear fenderwell where they will be hidden by the carpet & the plastic panels covering this area *BUT* this is my first go 'round on an LS1 car (mustang guy) & I don't have ANY idea where I can come through car/firewall out into the engine compartment.I did a search & it seems most are running them out over the top of the fuel tank & following the fuel lines up to the front,I actually tried this but I couldn't get the wires to go between the tank & the floor pan.Will I have to drop the tank down to do it this way? I would prefer to run them inside the car as I think this would be much neater but ease of install as well as neatness has to be a factor as I'm charging by the hour on this.THANKS!! for any help,pics,links,etc.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically recommend to follow the factory fuel lines toward the front of the car, crossing up over the trans & coming out above the pass side valve cover where the main computer harness is, then following up to the battery.

Going inside the car makes it hard to get back to the engine unless you come out above the pass pick panel.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lonnie! will the tank have to be dropped down in order to get the harness between it & the floor pan or did I just not try hard enough!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It is very tight without dropping the tank down, but you should be able to do this. I personally will not install a kit without removing the tank, nor do I recommend this.

It is best to drain, clean & reinstall the tank, this way there will be no contamination issues. You would be amazed what I find in fuel tanks.

You could loosen the tank bolts & it should give a little more room to get the wiring through.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see the point of tank removal to check things out and have to do a rear end anyway so might as well but will also put access hatch in there in case do have to service a pump. Gm should have put access hatch in anyway like so many other cars have. My talons being good examples .I can swap out a fuel pump in like half hour in the talons. Its great.

So be watching for those tips on installing this setup. Will be getting one for my car. Just wish it would simply mod the sensor like the aps kit but the kit is more complete than the aps kit which doesn't even have a fuel filter with their 1000rwhp setup and still have pretty small lines as well. Asp kit is a bit more factory with no sending unit having to be sent in. Thats one reason not getting the fuel system today have to yank out my pump and garage is unheated so not much fun.

Also lonnie would like to get a red rail option. Maybe you can do one for me.
And wondering are the 99 tanks and this lonnies twin pump ok for e85?
Might run it sometime in the future if we get it here.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

To clarify...

I choose not to offer a new drop-in unit to save costs. The level sensor is nearly $100 alone & a complete new core is about $350. This would add a lot to the overall price & not many want that.

You can find a core on Ebay, if time is critical to you.

I also do not exchange cores as I never want to provide a core that is not as good as the one you remove. It is also best to check your level sensor since they corrode from age & can fail.

I personally check the level sensor on all units & will not ship one with a bad part. If it needs replaced, you can either provide another core or I can get a new GM sensor for a reasonable price.

I also do not sell these in kit form, as if you browse this board, you willl see how many people have problems with fuel pump installations. I prefer to ship a fully functional & tested unit ready to drop in the tank. This way quality control is not a problem.

As far as overall reliability, I have yet to see a pump in one of my kits fail.

As for E85, Walbro does not rate their pumps for E85, but I have many guys running it with no failures to date. I doubt there will be a problem, but I want to make sure there is no misunderstanding here..... use at your own risk.

The plastic tank should not pose a problem with E85.

For the fuel system, some customization can be provided. when you are ready, please call to discuss.

As for install help, my contact info is listed on my website & I recommend you call me for help. The telephone is much faster than PM's & E-mails.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok understand on all the above. Might be spring before I get sensor out but will be ordering one for sure at some point. I don't really want to go external pump and all that.