Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

low fuel pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low fuel pressure problem

I have a 95 LT1 in a 57 chevy it was running well I decided to do an off frame restoration so the motor sit for 3 years now that I have it back together I only have 45 lbs of fuel pressure when I had 58 and the pressure bledds off to 20 lbs in seconds and to 0 within a minuite of course the engine doesnt start. I pulled the injectors and had 2 dripping but not enough to cause the fast bleed I had another pressure regulator so I tried it but it was apparently bad as it wouldnt hold any pressure. no leaks that I can see could this be the regulator or injectors or just a bad fuel pump it was a new pump with only 1300 miles on it not sure of the model as it came with the stainless tank kit I ordered and help would be appriciated I have stock injectors and stock pressure regulator the engine ran fine before I parked it

Pete
Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you get 58 psi out of an LT1 stock FPR? They run at 43.5. An LS1 runs at 58.
Did you check for spark? If not, you may wish to troubleshoot that.
What do the plugs look like? Are they wet? If you are getting spark but they are wet and you are bleeding down pressure, you may have leaky injectors.
The initial bleedoff is not too alarming, but you should keep the overall pressure longer.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

After 3 yrs of sitting, I'm betting the injectors have either :
A. Dried out, and they are stuck shut.
B. The fuel in them, the rails, and even the lines, tank, has gone bad. It may turn to gell, or worse. The moisture in the fuel can/will rust the system.. Injs that are rusty are JUNK.
I find this situation in alot of the injectors I do..especially from the salvage yard engines.
+1 on Koolaid's comments!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any rubber line in the return, I suggest you try the following:

1. Prime the pump to build pressure.

2. Shut off pump & immediately squeeze off return line with a squeeze clamp to prevent any flow through the line.

3. Then watch the pressure.... if it still drops, it is not the regulator.

4. I would suspect the line inside the fuel tank between the sender & pump. These tend to deteriorate & 99% of the ones I see are using the wrong hose.

5. Also, as said above, LT1's should only have 43-46# fuel pressure, but I still suspect you have a problem if the pressure falls this fast.

6. Now, there is no reason the car should not start with 45# fuel pressure.

Since it is an LT1, I've seen quite a few optispark distributors go bad from sitting. You should be able to find a good diagnostic online to check this out.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 AM

I have all new aluminum tubing from the tank but havent been in the tank to see inside yet I put in new plugs yesterday most were wet when I pulled them I have power at the injectors and if I rewire the fuel pump to run constantly it will crank and run but runs rough and misses I suspect its losing pressure too fast to start if wired correctly and not holding enough pressure to fire the injectors or some are stuck maybe its got a bad rubber tube in the tank

Pete

Last edited by sneakypete1957; 02-01-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Plugs are wet, engine can run (although not very well). Line is new. Good information, which eliminates the ignition.
You might try draining the tank of the old fuel (next time use a fuel stabilizer) but I suspect the injectors. You most likely need to have them repaired (not very cost effective) or buy a new or used set.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 PM

when I took the car off the road for the restoration I drained the tank and taped up the openings but the line in the tank still could have dried out. would the injectors cause the fast bleed off of fuel pressure?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Excellent, you did well to drain the tank Pete. Yeah, most likely your injector(s) are stuck open. It is either time to upgrade or replace with same.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

I dont know how different an LT1 pump is from an LS1 but I had this same issue not to long ago and it was the check valve in the pump bleeding off, might want to check that out.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM

replaced the rubber hose in the tank today still having the same problem did find I have a walbro pump tho
Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Problem solved I replaced the injectors today and pressure now holds at 43 lbs and 30 mins later its at 20 lbs cranks and runs smooth thanks everyone for all your help esp Koolaid Kid I'll post some new pics afer we get the new paint beffed and chrome polished

Pete