Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

No start condition, suspect lack of fuel.... tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No start condition, suspect lack of fuel.... tell me what you think

OK, first off, this is going to be a long first post so I will apologize now. SORRY! Now that that has been taken care of, I should mention that the fuel pump died on me about 8 months ago, so I replaced it with a Racetronix unit, and it has worked fine. I went to go start the car up yesterday and it started normally, ran for about 2 seconds, and then shut off like the key was turned to the off position. Tried to restart and it just cranks and won't start. Every now and then it sounds like it gets a little bit of fuel, sputters and coughs, tries to kick over but can't and then it's back to cranking again. When the key is on the ON position, you can hear the fuel pump prime. I put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail, and only get about 1-2 PSI of pressure during the prime cycle, but as soon as the prime is done, pressure drops to 0 PSI. I borrowed a generic OBD II scan tool. ECT and IAT are reading fine. MAF is reading fine, and I even tried to disconnect the MAF to put it in speed density mode to no avail. Just for S&G I put a new IGN relay in it and nothing. I looked up info on the VATS about the security light, and everything with that is working so it's not a VATS issue. I am wondering about the fuel filter. The fuel pressure regulator is before the filter (I think) right? If so, then if the filter was clogged, pressure would come out of the pump, get deadheaded by the filter, and then rerouted back to the tank by the regulator. Another thing that I noticed was when I was reading the scan tool live data while cranking the engine. I was looking at the engine RPM value while cranking. For the first 4 or 5 seconds of cranking, an engine RPM value was shown, but after that 4 or 5 seconds, the scan tool would show 0 RPM even though I was still cranking. Weird huh? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions about this one? I'd love to hear em. Thanks for any replies to this thread.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you get a prime, fuel pump should be fine.
do you have cut access panel to your fuel pump? if so, pull up the assembly and make sure you didn't work the regulator in the assembly loose and fall into bucket. if it's off, you will get pressure for a sec or two then 0.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I am not sure if I remember a regulator being in the tank when I did my pump. My T/A is a 98, I thought that the regulator was that aluminum block with 3 fuel lines coming out of it just right before the filter. Unless you are talking about something completly different?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems unlikely that the filter plugged up overnight but maybe the hose from the pump to the fuel line slipped or cracked inside the tank.