Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Problems with Fuel Pump System?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems with Fuel Pump System?!?

I've got a 1994 Z28. Here's my issue.
A few weeks ago I ran it out of gas. No big. The next week my fuel pump isn't getting power (car starts, runs like it's being starved of fuel..dies when I hit the gas). So I change the relay (gray wire pin on the bottom right is burned all around the pin) everything is back to normal. Another week later my car starts getting starved for fuel again on the highway, I had my kick panel off because I was installing two subs in the back, so I franticly reach for my relay and give it a shake...fuel comes back to the motor, this happens about 3 times during the week. Two days ago, my car does the same thing it did 3 weeks ago, no power to the pump, and my relay was making a weird clicking noise when I tried to shake it. So I change the relay again, pump doesn't make any noise, engine doesn't try to turn over, not even a click for a dead battery, lights and guages all work. Anyone had this happen to them?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

sounds like you might have a major electrical problem. make sure your battery cables are clean & tight on your battery.

I have seen fuel pumps go out after running out of gas. they don't like to be run dry, I have seen them act weird before they completely quit.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 PM

thanks for the reply man. found out i ran outa gas, blew an ignition fuse. no biggie, 10 bucks and a spare fuse later im up n running...pump is acting wird though, so i think its time for a new one