Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not getting fuel

About a month ago, I took Nymphadora out of storage and tried to start her up, but I wasn't getting fuel. So I first replaced the fuel filter, still no fuel. Then I replaced the fuel pump with the racetronix pump and hotwire kit at the same time as I installed my 9" rear end. Before I had the rear in (car still on jackstands), I started the car and ran it for about 5 minutes. I then installed the 9" (needed a new u-joint), and dropped it back on the ground.

One day between school and work, I was outside doing some yard work and decided to let the car idle to clean out the crap in the tank. After about 30 minutes of idle time, I went to check if all of the lights were working after 4 months of storage. When I flipped up the headlights, I noticed that both the lowbeams and highbeams were on, and they were all dim. I figured there was something wrong with the connection, so I reaching past the driver's side headlight and fiddled with the headlight connection. It felt wet, so I pulled it appart to check it out. When I pulled the connection, the engine shut off. This surprised me, but I've seen stranger things happen. So, I reconnected the headlights and went to start the car again, but it wouldn't start. It would turn over, but wouldn't fire. Since I now had to go to work, I just left it.

The car then sat for 2 weeks till I had time to install the new u-joint in the DS and get it installed in the car (Wednesday).

Fast forward to today...I went to start the car and it started and ran for about 10-15 seconds before it died. I turned it over again, it fired twice, but didn't start. After that, all it would do would turn over and over, but not fire, till the battery was dead. I might want to mention, that there is no fuel in the lines (checked schrader valve). I replaced the fuel pump relay, and used the battery out of my suburban to try and get it started, but same result, turning over, but no fire.

Is there anything I'm missing, or should be checking? A buddy of mine suggest that run the pump without a relay, is this a good idea?

This is really pissing me off, and is making me leary of taking the car anywhere, because I'm afraid it won't start at school or work and I'll have to get it towed.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Update...

I don't know what I did, but I got it running yesterday. I then drove it to get gas (was about a quarter tank). Since the battery was dead, I decided to not turn it off. When I went to leave the gas station, the car stalled. It felt like when a car stalls because it's low on fuel and the gas sloshed around. And since the battery hadn't charged yet, it wouldn't fire back up. I had my buddy (who was coming over anyway) swing by my house and grab the jumper cables. He came by and hooked the cables up to the car and it started right up. I then drove straight home, just in case she decided to act up again. When we got home, I parked her in the driveway, left her running to charge the battery, and went inside to wash my hands. While inside talking to my friend, I heard the car die (about 5 minutes after I parked it). I went outside and tried to start the car. It turned over, fired, ran for about 3 seconds, and died. It did this about 4 or 5 times before the battery was dead again.

What could be causing this? My mechanic buddy said, among other things, that a cam sensor could be bad, or the battery could be causing a fluxuation in the voltage.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem i recently put an ms3 cam in it I drove it around for a while and then finally made it home. I let it idle in the drive way for about 30 mins and then it died. ever since then i wasnt able to start it up. I replaced the fuel pump no luck. tomorrow i am going to replace the fuel filter and see what happens. My damn battery also dies very quickly. But Im too cheap to buy a new one
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Voltage is a big issue get that straight before you are chasing your tail trying to figure out a problem that is not there.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

I chased down a fuel issue that turned out to be not a fuel issue. Btw, basically the exact same situation as you, would start/wouldn't start, drove it one day, wouldn't start the next etc. Replaced relays, crank sensor, tested all kinds of voltages, ended up being the ground on the back of the driver's side head. Shitty thing was I thought I checked that connection before. The connection itself was good, but the wires had slightly pulled out of the connector! Something to check.

My car was down for six months because of a ******* wire

Good luck
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with getting a good battery in there first before you start chasing your tail. However, do you put moth ***** or something else around the car when you store it? You should if you don't because it will keep all the critters from coming in and chewing up wires. That could be a possibility because it happened twice to me before I smartened up.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your battery in the stock location?