Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car won't start....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start....HELP

I have been gone for 7 months, parents and the sister did run the car a little bit, but came home to an empty tank. So i decided to go to the gas station, turned it on, gurgled for a bit, died, then turned it back on. Started driving, and it died about 1/4 mile down the road. Put in 5 gallons, tried turning it back on, wouldn't turn over... Tried jump starting it, still wouldn't turn... Towed it to the house, thought it could have been a bad fuel filter so I replaced it. Tried turning it over, still wouldn't!
So I opened up the throttle body, dumped some fuel in there and put MAF/lid/filter back on and turned it, started, gurgled then died...
So is it my fuel pump? What could be the problem if it isn't?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Launching!

most likely yes a bad fuel pump is the cause, dumping small amounts of fuel in the intake is a bad idea u probably flooded the motor doing that, get someone to try and turn the engine over, while u go under and hit the fuel tank with a SMALL hammer, if the car starts, its a bad fuel pump.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Teching In

So what fuel pump is worth getting? I've done some reading and heard a lot of arguing between the walbro and racetronix... (I would need the 1998 version)
Is it worth the upgrade or just going stock again?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Upgrade, always upgrade.

Get the Racetronix pump/wiring harness.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
11Second Club

Rather than going with the hammer on the gas tank method, I'd just go grab a fuel pressure gauge and throw it on the end of the fuel rail. The fuel rail is a male -4AN fitting. You'll need to get an adapter to fit your fuel gauge, most likely, but that's not a big deal. You'll also need to remove the Schrader valve. This will give you a 100% guarantee that you have no fuel pressure.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Launching!

which ever is cheaper they r both good pumps, iv heard great things about both of them
Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Gauge you were very helpful! Thank you very much for the specs on the adapter and whatnot!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Hypertech on-rail fuel pressure gauge (part #4004) does not need an adaptor, and has a pin inside that depresses the schraeder valve. Much simpler to use and you don't get fuel all over the engine like can happen if you remove the valve. But it is not a permanent mount gauge. Just an FYI.
IIRC, key-on should show ~58 p.s.i.
AFA Walbro vs. Racetronix, the Racetronix uses a Walbro, just guaranteed to be a drop-in fit. The Racetronix wiring harness is a worthwhile upgrade, since the factory harness is marginal for a stock pump, much less one that draws more power like the Walbros.
Many sponsors carry them. I got mine from Lonnies Performance, and he provided excellent service after the sale when I ran into a few issues.