Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

No injector pulse...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No injector pulse...

What would cause no injector pulse besides a bad PCM? My 1998 Z28 won't start but it has been having an intermediate no start issue. I had a GM tech go over the car, check all wiring, sensors and even scanned. He got the car to not start while on the scanner and he says thers no injector pulse when the no-start happens. The car cranks but won't start. He told me he thinks it was the PCM so I bought a PCM from EFI ALCHEMY but that didn't fix it. Now I spent $220.00 on a PCM and already 3 hours labor with no answers!!! Here is what happened last week before I had it towed:

I had to drive it home and on the way home the car shut off. I was pulling away from a stop sign and right before it shifted to 2nd it shut off. I put the car in neutral and it after a few tries while costing it started back up, but with a check engine light on. I drove a bit further and it happened again. I got it started again and continued on my way but about a mile down the road it gave out again and I couldn't get it to start again; so I had to have it towed. So now I bought a PCM that I don't need and of course the tech and service writer both are giving me the cold shoulder, like its my problem that he told me it needs a PCM. ANY other ideas of what could cause this? I had my VATS wires break in my 99 SS but if I remember when that happened the car acted like it had a dead battery; it wouldn't even crank.
ANY IDEAS????
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Could be any # of things...but if the check engine light came on it has a code to scan and can tell you alot. Could be crank/ cam signal, bad ground, VATS....You need to have a scanner on it when it happens.

Nate
Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully the technician can start checking it out here soon; he is avoiding me because he knows I am pissed about him costing me $220.00 that I didn't need. Now...if say aone or both of the vats wires are broken, would the car even crank? I seem to remember that when my 99 SS had its' vats wires broken, the car wouldn't even crank...just like the battery was completely dead, except I had power (domelights...etc). Now like I said, when I was driving the engine cut and and shut off, just like if my passenger reached over the turn the ignition key to off position. I shifted to neutral and got it restarted; this happened 3 times before the final time in which it would not start at all and had to be towed. I don't think the VATS system would act like this...do you? Seems to me like either the fuel or spark got shut down while driving. I am wondering if the overheating issues I had while getting an emission test has anything to do with this problem? The car was sitting in line, idling, at the emission testing facility for about 15 minutes. After the OBD scanning was done (they don't run the car on the dyno anymore unless its pre-OBD2). When they pulled the car outside I noticed the fans were not running and the guage would have pegged had I not shut the car off. I waited a little bit and restarted the car (took a few tries before it would start) and the gauge was still reading hot but no fans running. I turned on the A/C and still no fans. I parked the car until later that night and came back to get it. I got it home, since I only live about 2-3 miles from where it was parked, without any overheating issues(the car didn't even have the chance to get up to temp). The next day I swapped all the fan relays from my SS to the Z28 and the fans work now, no overheating issues. I would say maybe one of those relays were bad; so now I have to buy three new relays for my SS.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

vats would shut off the starter. you could pull the bcm and look for cracks in the solder joints for the fuel enable. i had this problem with the radio cutting out. or it could be the wire from the bcm to the pcm for the fuel enable control.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:19 PM

Default Did you ever find out what it was? My car is doing the exact same thing. Can’t figure

Originally Posted by 99monguse
Hopefully the technician can start checking it out here soon; he is avoiding me because he knows I am pissed about him costing me $220.00 that I didn't need. Now...if say aone or both of the vats wires are broken, would the car even crank? I seem to remember that when my 99 SS had its' vats wires broken, the car wouldn't even crank...just like the battery was completely dead, except I had power (domelights...etc). Now like I said, when I was driving the engine cut and and shut off, just like if my passenger reached over the turn the ignition key to off position. I shifted to neutral and got it restarted; this happened 3 times before the final time in which it would not start at all and had to be towed. I don't think the VATS system would act like this...do you? Seems to me like either the fuel or spark got shut down while driving. I am wondering if the overheating issues I had while getting an emission test has anything to do with this problem? The car was sitting in line, idling, at the emission testing facility for about 15 minutes. After the OBD scanning was done (they don't run the car on the dyno anymore unless its pre-OBD2). When they pulled the car outside I noticed the fans were not running and the guage would have pegged had I not shut the car off. I waited a little bit and restarted the car (took a few tries before it would start) and the gauge was still reading hot but no fans running. I turned on the A/C and still no fans. I parked the car until later that night and came back to get it. I got it home, since I only live about 2-3 miles from where it was parked, without any overheating issues(the car didn't even have the chance to get up to temp). The next day I swapped all the fan relays from my SS to the Z28 and the fans work now, no overheating issues. I would say maybe one of those relays were bad; so now I have to buy three new relays for my SS.

did you ever figure out what was causing this issue? My car is doing the same thing.. can’t figure it out.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

99monguse hasn't been here for over 4 years. Check post dates....
Old 09-04-2021, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Did you figured it out? Having the same problem with my '98 Camaro. Tried to disable VATS with HP Tuners, but nothing. Will put additional grounds to heads (in the front side of each) to see it it helps. If not, will give new ground to both black wires of the PCM plugs. Will let you know if it works.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Stilleno
Did you figured it out? Having the same problem with my '98 Camaro. Tried to disable VATS with HP Tuners, but nothing. Will put additional grounds to heads (in the front side of each) to see it it helps. If not, will give new ground to both black wires of the PCM plugs. Will let you know if it works.
Read the post RIGHT ABOVE yours. Slowly. This thread is from 2009. OP hasn't been here since.
The following users liked this post:
Old Buzzard (09-08-2021)

Quick Reply: No injector pulse...