Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump dies when put into gear, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump dies when put into gear, help!!!

I recently completed my swap of a Gen-III 6.0L V8 into my 1990 Firebird with a TH400 transmission. I have a custom Speartech wiring harness that was made for the thirdgen fbody swap with a 4L60E. I also have a Fuel Pump Hotwire kit installed too. The engine is untuned but shouldnt make a difference with the engine off.

Anyways, with the KEY ON, ENGINE OFF, I can hear the fuel pump prime while in park and in neutral. But, as soon as I put it into a drive gear, the fuel pump stumbles and dies.

What could cause this issue? Bad ground, bad voltage signal to something? Or could some of the 4L60E controls be causing this? I have the 4L60E wiring in the harness, but a TH400 transmission.

I need help before I send it out to the Dyno Tune shop!! I want to make sure all my electricial quirks are solved before I get it loaded on the trailer!! Chris
Old 06-09-2009, 06:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Key ON engine OFF, the pump will go through a prime cycle for two seconds and then turn off. It should not continuously run if the engine is not running.

If the engine runs, what is the concern?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

Well, the engine runs in park and neutral, when I put it in gear it dies and the fuel pump no longer runs. The fuel pump loses 12v or ground when put into gear, engine running or not(doesn't matter). I just thought I'd try to get some ideas of what to check(p/n switch, hotwire kit, trans diag via hp tuners, etc) before I dig in on my own when I get home!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

I believe I got it figured out. I dont have a fuel pump relay wired in, Im a genius for not installing one haha. It was wired straight from the PCM to ignition voltage