Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Do I need a Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Do I need a Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Hey guys, if you seen my other thread, you know that I just got some fuel rails on the car. Well seeing as they are aftermarket they don't have the FPR built into them like the stock setup. Is this needed? The car runs great, but I don't want to have any lean conditions going on because I skimped out on buying one... seems like I see a lot of guys on here with aftermarket rails, but with no FPR...

thanks...
Old 07-02-2009, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you are working on a LT1, a '97 vette or a truck, you do not have a rail mounted regulator. What you saw on the rail was a pulse dampener, not a regulator. If a car has a regulator, you need to use a regulator. In this case, you have one, but it is in the fuel tank.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say to get one at the rails... it will keep your fp steady at higher rpms. Before i added one, my pressure would drop to 50ish psi from 60. Now it stays steady, and even rises with boost pressure.

You will need to be re-tuned though, cause moving to the rails it will cause you to run rich
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Unless you are working on a LT1, a '97 vette or a truck, you do not have a rail mounted regulator. What you saw on the rail was a pulse dampener, not a regulator. If a car has a regulator, you need to use a regulator. In this case, you have one, but it is in the fuel tank.
What he said is all you need to know.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
that's right... i remember now reading that thing was in fact the pulse dampener.

so what's this pulse dampener thing for... I assume I'm ok without one...?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
i would say to get one at the rails... it will keep your fp steady at higher rpms. Before i added one, my pressure would drop to 50ish psi from 60. Now it stays steady, and even rises with boost pressure.

You will need to be re-tuned though, cause moving to the rails it will cause you to run rich

His car does not have forced induction, so he should be fine with the stock regulator.

Quick Reply: Do I need a Fuel Pressure Regulator?