Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Busting Gas Lines in Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Busting Gas Lines in Pump

I just put a walbro 255 pump in my Firehawk. The car would run about a week and then die. Get a tow truck and get it home. Pull the tank and its the rubber hose in the tank that walbro sends. The hose is split, At first I thought it was because of over tighting. Well put another high pressure hose and it did it again in 2 days. But this time it was with the 180 PSI hose, and busted the top out of it. Sooo I thought..maybe my fuel filter was dirty and pluging it up so it would just bust because of too much pressue. ( why didnt the shop do that when the pump a pump on it IDK) I changed to a high pressue fuel injection style hose and good clamps and pump a new wix filter on it. Maybe this will fix it idk, but I know a buddy is having the same issue with the walbro..twice to him also. My next thought is that the hose is too long, I went to a straight hose and as the fuel rises it could kink the hose and then bust it off. So if It does it again..Ill shortin the hose I gues. I had a speed shop put the pump in and after fighting to get them to pay tow trucks and **** I was tired of it so I started fixing it..Anyone heard of this before?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

always re-used the stock clear, convoluted hose...w/ no issues...
Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it breaks again Im going back with it..I think its just kinking it as the gas level goes up and down..builds up pressue..busting it..
Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless your pump set-up is different than any I've seen, the assembly's springs keep the pump against the bottom of the tank at ALL times...the only thing that moves w/ fuel level is the level sensor's float and arm.
unless I'm mistaken, the only way you could use a piece of rubber fuel hose correctly is if it is the exact length needed when the assembly is installed...OR...
a long enough piece to form a loop that would move freely w/ assembly fully extended or when compressed, as during installation and removal...as does the stock convoluted tubing...

Last edited by Superado; 08-10-2009 at 06:15 PM.