Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Dual in-tanks, or a big single? 750-1000RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual in-tanks, or a big single? 750-1000RWHP

I'm at the point where I need to pick up my fuel system and finally have the $ together to do so. Now I just need to decide exactly which way is best. I want to be able to go on a long trip and not have to worry about things breaking down or the fuel getting really hot.

My current setup if everything goes perfectly should max out at most around 750RWHP, but I plan to upgrade in the future and built the rest of the car to hold 1000RWHP. The twin in tank setups should hold up to this level, but the thought of a pump going out and blowing a motor is pretty scary. Is there a way to protect against this or some sort of warning system or something?

If I decide to go with a big single how would that work? Tap a line into the bottom of my 99 tank and have the big pump sitting under the car somewhere? Is it gonna be whining like mad? I dont mind some noise as long as its not rediculous, I figure I have a big cam, loud exhaust and a D1SC thats gonna be whistling away already, whats a lil more noise? lol

Looking for pros/cons and maybe price difference between going either way and anything else anyone would like to ad.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
I'm at the point where I need to pick up my fuel system and finally have the $ together to do so. Now I just need to decide exactly which way is best. I want to be able to go on a long trip and not have to worry about things breaking down or the fuel getting really hot.

My current setup if everything goes perfectly should max out at most around 750RWHP, but I plan to upgrade in the future and built the rest of the car to hold 1000RWHP. The twin in tank setups should hold up to this level, but the thought of a pump going out and blowing a motor is pretty scary. Is there a way to protect against this or some sort of warning system or something?

If I decide to go with a big single how would that work? Tap a line into the bottom of my 99 tank and have the big pump sitting under the car somewhere? Is it gonna be whining like mad? I dont mind some noise as long as its not rediculous, I figure I have a big cam, loud exhaust and a D1SC thats gonna be whistling away already, whats a lil more noise? lol

Looking for pros/cons and maybe price difference between going either way and anything else anyone would like to ad.

YOu have to realize that IF you are on a long trip, with 2 pumps, the likely hood of BOTH failing at one time...NOT gonna happen. Now, just because you have 750RWHP does NOT mean you need BOTH pumps to get you somewhere, follow me? You will still be able to drive it someplace to get ya fixed up.

Now, I am STILL an advocate for teh 1 big pump (Magnafuel is what I like), and whil eit will be louder, not sure you are gonna mind. You making that much power, your car is not quiet to begin with.

So, you can definitely have arguments for both, but if I planned on driving on trips all the time, I would go with the 2 Walbro setup (hard to beat factory reliability), but if this car is more in city type of stuff, I like teh 1 big Magnafuel.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

FYI my old fuel system is for sale, sheet metal gas tank, 2 external bosch pumps... email me if interested... john@motorsports-media.com
Old 08-29-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

PSJ you have mail!

I understand losing 1 pump on a road trip will still allow me to get home. (if the main pump dies I'm assuming I can wire the second pump to run the car, is there some kinda check valve between the pumps/supply line that would cause an issue? Not sure exactly how this works I'm new to this.) My big worry is losing say the second pump, or the hobbs switch or wiring or whatever has an issue and teh secodn pump dosnt come on and I go lean and lose a motor due to the second pump not coming on.

I just want as safe and reliable of a system as I can get without getting crazy on the price.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel free to call if you want to discuss a dual pump setup.

Reliability is exceptional (I have built nearly 1000 kits over the past 5 years for proven performance.) When done correctly, these pumps do not fail.

I have proven performance in excess of 1000rwhp & you can drive it like it is stock with no fear of pump overheating, excess noise etc.

PSJ, how long before one of my kits finds it way into your car?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Hehe Lonnie. I am still sorting out my combo, and am looking for something really simple.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.magnafuel.com/products/efi/pumps/MP-4301.htm

We're running one of these bad boys in a 1200-1300 rwhp E85 TT C5, should be more than enough....
Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

There are a couple good ways but our full Street kits with the Lonnies/Racetronix dual pumps setup is the best performance for a street car and has proven extremely reliable to over 1000rwhp.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
.) My big worry is losing say the second pump, or the hobbs switch or wiring or whatever has an issue and teh secodn pump dosnt come on and I go lean and lose a motor due to the second pump not coming on.

That is no different than losing your pump if you have just 1 pump to begin with anyways. I understand what you are saying, that if running 2, one goes out, you go lean while under boost, etc...but the same thing is gonna happen if you are running 1 pump and you lose it.
I mean, IF you are lucky, with the 1 pump and it goes out, your motor will just "die" but you have just as much chance of "hurting" the motor one way or the other.
Long trips on a regular basis, I like teh 2 pumps...
Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

pro john,

email me pics of your stuff

bigbirdws6@yahoo.com
Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Sent you email bigbird.