Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump question?

I got the ls1 in my e30 running but the old walbro died on me.
It was on its way out any how.
By the way it is a returnless system with an Intank pump.
But my question is this.
Should i get the walbro for my bmw or for the camaro/trans-am?
The reason i am having trouble deciding is that the metal tubing that connects the fuel line to the tank is 1/2 diameter and so is the outlet on the bmw pump.
The issue i had with the old pump is that i had to stretch a 5/16 line from the pump over that tubing and the pressure would cause it to break.
But will the bmw walbro be okay to use since its a returnless system?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Every single other response you will get will be people saying how great Walbro pumps are. However, they are actually pieces of **** and I would never trust one. They are SUPPOSED to be a stock style pump, but they never really hold pressure after shutdown. This means you have to prime the pump just like with a real HP fuel pump. They are supposed to last longer, which they don't. They are supposed to handle volt boosters better than stock, which they don't. If you are making big power, just suck it up and realize that you need a big, loud pump. Don't worry, your exhaust noise will cover it. Also, returnless systems are a cost saving effort by the OEM's, and have no place on a performance car.