Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Best way to test for leaking fuel injectors..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best way to test for leaking fuel injectors..

Well, I have been having an ongoing problem with my 98 T/A fuel pressure(seems like everyone with this year has the same issue). Basically, when I prime the system, pressure goes up to about 40 PSI, then immediately drops to 0. Vehicle has excessive cranking times before it fires up, anywhere from 4-8 seconds. While running fuel pressure is only at 40 PSI. Anyway, I have been through 4 pumps now, and this last go around I went with the Racetronix unit as well as thier upgraded fuel pump wiring harness and battery negative cable upgrade. I also replaced all of the nylon supply and return tube with -6 stainless steel braided hose and those 3/8 and 5/16 fuel adapter fittings from Russell. I am pretty sure that everything in the tank is OK, seeing as how this has been the exact same problem on the past 4 pumps/sending units. I am looking into a possible leaking injector(s). Do I have to remove the entire fuel rail, and them prime the system to see which one is leaking or is there a better way? I know that OBD II has misfire monitoring, but it's not always a sure thing. Another question about the fuel pressure. I read that a software bias in the ECU controls fuel pressure by regulating injector on time. I understand the logic behind it, but how does the computer know what target pressure to hit if there is no sensor for reading the pressure anywhere in the system? Does it look at fuel trims in the data list to make that determination, or is it something else? Also, in the event that I do need injectors, my car is a 98 so it has the 28lb/hr injectors. Where can I get a good reliable injector(like a Bosch or Accel) that are rated at the same lb/hr and stock fuel pressure? I also read about needing a computer tune after replacing injector. How likely will that be for me if I end up raplacing the set I have? Thanks for any information or opinions, and have a good Labor Day!

Quick Reply: Best way to test for leaking fuel injectors..