Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Well I think I FINALLY figured out whats wrong with my car(6.8mpg)... Fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well I think I FINALLY figured out whats wrong with my car(6.8mpg)... Fixable?

I noticed this leak on the fuel rail... When I gave it gas, it was gushing out. I think this is the cause for the car sputtering under acceleration/less than 7mpg :wacko: It appears as though its right at the seem. Some guy at autozone recommended "Waterweld", by JB weld. So I picked some up. What do you guys think? Should I try that? Or get a new fuel rail? Its leaking at the seem circled in the 2nd picture.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It the problem where your fitting goes on there? Have you tired to take the fuel adapter off and see if the same problem still occurs? If it is not the adapter I would get a new/used rail. Don't ghetto the fuel rail. They go dirt cheap on here.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rssean
it the problem where your fitting goes on there? Have you tired to take the fuel adapter off and see if the same problem still occurs? If it is not the adapter i would get a new/used rail. Don't ghetto the fuel rail. They go dirt cheap on here.
this!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im about to be taking my stock rails off my 02 z28 and you can have em, just pay shipping
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Teching In

you dont want half *** any thing like fuel leak,,fix it right so dont burn car down
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

And, once the rail is replaced, DO NOT hang a bunch of "stuff" off the end of it. Those welds are not designed for that abuse.
Glad you found it. Sure beats seeing it sitting on the side of the road, burned down... Or worse.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Is that fitting the right thread type for that rail?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

I have split the end on the rail by tightening stuff or putting pressure on it. Definately dont skimp on fixing it right, just get another stock rail and be easy on it.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
And, once the rail is replaced, DO NOT hang a bunch of "stuff" off the end of it. Those welds are not designed for that abuse.
Glad you found it. Sure beats seeing it sitting on the side of the road, burned down... Or worse.
THIS

If you want to run a FPSS & a fuel pressure gauge, you can buy basically the same anodized fitting that will accept 2 sensors, or get a Trick or NX bottle/fuel pressure gauge that also works as a FPSS & runs off of one sensor. That is a soft brass rail & tightening it down too much will cause leaks.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

jb weld wont seal it up neither will water weld. I tried it before the gas melts the jb weld
Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

I have a T fitting on the end of my rail that has a fuel pressure sensor on it along with a schrader. I have Teflon tape on the seams and have ever only had one problem which was because I didn't put it on right. I say take off the adapter (possibly look for a smaller one), check and clean the threads on both, and wrap the rail end with tape and tighten everything back up.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

I suggest taking off the fpss and the fitting for it and capping the blue fitting. The fpss is jumped so not sure why is on there. You need new rails if its cracked.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with Geezer on this one.
Rework the system so you don't have the weight of all those fittings and sensors at the end of the rail hanging there unsupported.
A stock rail can be had for less money than the worthless mighty putty!
Take up streetassasin on the free rail offer and be done with it.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarols1
I'm with Geezer on this one.
Rework the system so you don't have the weight of all those fittings and sensors at the end of the rail hanging there unsupported.
A stock rail can be had for less money than the worthless mighty putty!
Take up streetassasin on the free rail offer and be done with it.
What he said. JB weld on a fuel leak is about the most bubba thing I have heard on this forum. It's amazing the car hasn't caught fire yet, take care of it properly and be done with it. And I believe that is an NPT fitting and should have teflon paste or tape around the factory rail end. It may be as simple as that if was assembled without paste. NPT = Teflon Past, AN = no paste. On a side note the wiring to the FPSS looks exposed and corroded, may want to address that at the same time.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Just buy some good fuel rails and the problem is fixed. Don't "N" rig it, keep the fittings to a minimum and keep it clean. Remember keep it simple Stupid (KISS), that's a good rule of thumb.