Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel tank to floorpan clearance?

Old 09-25-2009, 05:52 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fuel tank to floorpan clearance?

anyone have an accurate measurement?
i want to modify my sending unit to take a 90deg bulkhead fitting to properly supply my fuel pump, and another to increase the size of my return line.
i was going to cut a hole in the hatch, but i dont want to hack up the car if i dont have room.
ive found several threads and a few pics, but clearance looks blind by the pics

going to use that fitting, then make a flare on a piece of tubing and run it to the bottom of the tank where the pump used to be for a pickup.
any help is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Might be rather tight.....
Car is a 3rd gen guys. I personally don't know if there is a difference; sure there is.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
Might be rather tight.....
Car is a 3rd gen guys. I personally don't know if there is a difference; sure there is.
i would think not.
could be variations, but the basic structure back there is the same.
ive had a 98 metal tank side by side and it looked identical.
i also had a 2002 plastic tank i was going to put in my car at one point, but sold to a buddy that was in a bind.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much room up there and a pull straight up with your pickup is not the best for any external pump. Our Race Fuel tank also fits the 3rd gen cars and provides the proper sump to pull fuel from.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Not much room up there and a pull straight up with your pickup is not the best for any external pump. Our Race Fuel tank also fits the 3rd gen cars and provides the proper sump to pull fuel from.
how far does your sump hang down over the factory tank?
i have a 4" exhaust setup in the factory location with a huge diesel muffler in the back to keep my car quiet.
hardly have any room.
talked with aeromotive, and magnafuel and they said their pumps can pull through the pickup.
also spoke with glens performance, and he said his inline pumps will support my hp pulling through the pickup.
whats the price for a bare bones tank, and will it accept a stock sending unit?
thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
^^^ alwas trying to sell something lol Nasty can u give us a idea of how to set up a proper sump insted of trying to sell one that would help us DIYers alot. But any ways there is about 1" to 1 1/2"s if u lift up the carpet there over where the tank sits there is a rubber plug over the gas tank that u can remove. that will give u a pretty good idea about the clearence but cutting a hole above the fuel pump will save u a lot of time taking the tank out is a PITA

Search this Thread