Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Ethanol Separation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ethanol Separation

Well it all started having problems with our boat motor a few weeks ago. It was the first time we had used that tank this season and it gave the motor major problems. After talking to a few people down at the seaplane base we found out that there had been a lot of people having problems with separation of the ethanol and gas. They said after about 4 weeks of being in a tank, the ethanol and gas will separate and create a layer of bacteria that was clogging the injectors in carburetors. Is this something we have to worry about in our engines? I only go through about a tank every month or two in my TA anymore and I dont want it to mess up the fuel system. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ethanol will separate from gasoline when it combines with water.
This is likely the cause.

Obviously in a boat, moisture is more of a problem.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I figured that it had been exposed to water either through a leak in the tank or something else. This is the first Ive heard of that film layer clogging fuel systems though. Is there anything to worry about with that?

Edit: Just thought about it. Anything should get stopped by the fuel filter and fuel pump sock, right?