Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel additive help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel additive help please!

So I am taking my LS1 to the track for the first time this weekend and I want to be running in tip top shape. My question is: Will it be hard on my LS1 to put 91 octane fuel + an octane boost fuel additive? I have run it on 89 octane with this additive before and it ran fine. Another factor to this may be that I recently ended up with a small amount of bad gas (not sure what the problem was) and it has made her run a little sluggish. I want to give it what it needs to run at its best but I also don't want to blow it up. PLEASE HELP.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Banned

You'd be fine either way, what I would do is put a gallon or two of some race gas and the rest 91+ octane gas in and see your car wake up at the track
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

the cars are made to run on premium, octane boost is crap and a waste of money...it ran "fine" because the car will pull timing so it doesn't ping, but it will not be running its best

always use 91+ fuel, I had shell 93 in mine last weekend at the track and it was still pulling a couple degrees (I think it was really 91) so I put in a small amount of 110 but it started raining so I didn't get to try it out
Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
the cars are made to run on premium, octane boost is crap and a waste of money...it ran "fine" because the car will pull timing so it doesn't ping, but it will not be running its best

always use 91+ fuel, I had shell 93 in mine last weekend at the track and it was still pulling a couple degrees (I think it was really 91) so I put in a small amount of 110 but it started raining so I didn't get to try it out
Now see i used to think the same way about the fuel additives. I always told people that asked me that it was a waste of money and it was stupid. Then my buddy tried some of it in his camaro and said it made a huge difference. He then gave me a bottle to try and i put it in with 89 and that is when i noticed the difference. After i put it in with a full tank of 89 and drove it to class (about 30 minutes), it sat for about 3 hours, then on the way home i could tell on the on ramps it came alive. It was more resonsive and wanted to GO. That was the best it has ever ran. I also have a buddy with a 94 formula w/a LT4 out of the anniversary vette and he said he also runs 91 and octane boost at all times and he almost pulls the front wheels off the ground (not from the fuel alone of course) but i am somewhat of a believer on the additives now. I just want to make sure that i will not blow something by having too high amounts of octane.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Octane booster make 91 into like 91.2. It's all in your head. All it does is lighten your wallet. Do some research on octane booster on google. Best thing to do is optimise your combo with a tune, even if stock.