Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel issue, I searched

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel issue, I searched

Hey guys, I recently recieved a 2000 3.8 camaro from a friend as a "loaner" for a few months till I get a ws6 and am having a weird issue.

The vehicle runs like crap essentially, the fuel pump is randomnly cutting out and causing a serious lean issue to the point of mass detonation. Picture the nastiest sounding cammed big block and that's a stock idle compared to what this thing does. Replace the FPR and fuel pump, noticed that the harness when gently held to one side it will run fine.

On my way it was almost timed perfect that every 8-10 minutes i would pull over gently persuade the harness and go again with the vehicle running perfect, I am picking up a new harness in the morning but wanted to make sure that it couldn't be anything else. The vehicle also has a new to me fuel pump, did the issue on the stock and on the new unit, that's how we figured out about the harness.

Yes, I know it is strictly related to fuel, when i was broke down on the side of the road for many of hour the other night i verified that the entire ignition system is up to par, also installed new plugs.

Also does anyone besides GM know WTF the fuel vapor pressure sensor does, could that also be part of my issue and would it be a good idea to replace it?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It works with your evaporative emissions system & proves your tank is sealed by measuring the pressure inside it. It in no way effects the way the car runs. Unless you are getting an evap code, do not worry about it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and so the issue goes on, rewired the fuel pump with 14g wiring and a relay tied into the ignition still doing it, could it be possible that my new to me fuel pump is bad? I still have the factory harness in as well, ran great for a day and a half i guess, around 150-160 miles then creeped back up on me.

Happens when I have just the factory harness connected, my harness alone, both harnesses, my harness alone with the factory plug unplugged, really freaking confused. I'll drive for a while than the vehicle goes real lean, stop and wait a few seconds than it runs great for another little bit and screws up again, somebody please give me an idea. I've run out of ideas and money in trying to get this figured out and really need to get this issue solved, drive a total of 80+ miles a day for work and it gets annoying stopping every 8-10 miles to wait.