Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Anyone know of a write up to use to swap fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know of a write up to use to swap fuel pumps?

My fuel pump took a **** on me, needs replacing. Is there any write up I can use to do the job myself? I found this:

http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html

Is this pretty much the same for all brand fuel pumps?

Also does anyone have any info on this pump from Summit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRN-GM722-2/
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, the sticky at the top of this section?
There are several things wrong with that writeup, IMHO.

The Granatelli is a repackaged marked-up Walbro. Either buy a real Walbro (most likely for less) or buy a Racetronix kit.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

That's the write up I used when mine went. It's pretty straight forward, just make sure you are very careful when cutting the trap door so you don't end up cutting right through to the tank. Oh and go with the racetronix kit. It'll make things a LOT easier.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
My fuel pump took a **** on me, needs replacing. Is there any write up I can use to do the job myself? I found this:

http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html

Is this pretty much the same for all brand fuel pumps?

Also does anyone have any info on this pump from Summit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRN-GM722-2/
Find a Harbor Freight and get this tool to make the cut. It cuts a perfect straight line through the metal like butter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97636
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

The one from Summit is $125 so that doesnt seem too bad. And thanks for the heads up on that tool, for $7 I might aswell pick it up!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Umm, the sticky at the top of this section?
There are several things wrong with that writeup, IMHO.
Do tell...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
Do tell...
?? wondering this myself
Old 12-24-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Not trying to cause trouble, but here's a couple:
Don't use fuel injection hose. It is not qualified as fuel submersible. If you choose rubber hose versus the flexhose, use SAE J30R10 hose, which is also available from ape. It is fully qualified fuel submersible, although there have been reports of Ethanol compatibility softening it (even with E10-15, which is what is used up here in Indiana). Also, using the rubber hose may lead to kinking during assembly, so be very careful to avoid this.
If you use the flexhose, the worm clamps will work just fine.
The link to ape is excellent, btw, since they carry all the things you should need for the install.
I strongly suggest using care when removing the retaining ring. Steel upon steel "...use a large flathead screwdriver and hammer and pound the retaining ring off..." can cause sparks. Sparks + fuel vapor = potential explosion. IIRC, I used a large pipe wrench or channel locks, which required no pounding (it's been a while).
Finally, if you care about the bucket integrity, or you tend to run your tank at low levels, you may wish to consider the Racetronix pump, which is a "plug n play" item.
All in all, it is a good writeup, but caution should always be taken.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Don't use fuel injection hose. It is not qualified as fuel submersible.
This was mentioned, thus the link to APE to purchase the other type of hose so you don't have to worry about fuel submissible hose or splits over time from rubber softening up.

Finally, if you care about the bucket integrity, or you tend to run your tank at low levels, you may wish to consider the Racetronix pump, which is a "plug n play" item.
All in all, it is a good writeup, but caution should always be taken.
Uh, this was mentioned as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can wait a few days I am will make a really nice write up, cause I will be doing mine with a racetronics one. I am doing mine by droppin the tank since the rear end will be out.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RsSean
If you can wait a few days I am will make a really nice write up, cause I will be doing mine with a racetronics one. I am doing mine by droppin the tank since the rear end will be out.
For the small additional cost of the Racetronix kit over the Summit version I think the OP should go Racetronix instead.

To the OP - the Racetronix kit includes the wire kit from pump to alternator which makes a great difference in voltage to the pump over stock making the Racrtronix kit the ideal solution if you plan to mod or upgrade your system later. The Racetroxic kit will handle up to about 550 rwhp.

Not sure if the Summit kit will do that unless you install the Casper wiring kit along with the new Summit pump. But if you do that - the total difference in cost between both is very little making the Racetroxic kit the preferred choice.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
For the small additional cost of the Racetronix kit over the Summit version I think the OP should go Racetronix instead.

To the OP - the Racetronix kit includes the wire kit from pump to alternator which makes a great difference in voltage to the pump over stock making the Racrtronix kit the ideal solution if you plan to mod or upgrade your system later. The Racetroxic kit will handle up to about 550 rwhp.

Not sure if the Summit kit will do that unless you install the Casper wiring kit along with the new Summit pump. But if you do that - the total difference in cost between both is very little making the Racetroxic kit the preferred choice.

Hmm some good info, I am going to check out a Racetronix kit now!

Also guys another question...do I need a fuel pump and fuel pump only? Or is there more to it?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Hmm some good info, I am going to check out a Racetronix kit now!

Also guys another question...do I need a fuel pump and fuel pump only? Or is there more to it?
The kit includes everything - even a paperclip for the installation. The kit is a 'true' plug and play kit.

Their site shows the kit and items included. Link below includes a pic of the kit but from Thunder Racing's site.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...mid=88&sid=260

It appears that the kit is cheaper now too, compared to when I got one (about 4 years ago). My kit is for a 98. It currently supports an ATI D1SC Procharged 347 making 565 to the wheel on a Mustang dyno with 60 lb Mototron injectors. Fuel pressure is consistent 58 lbs.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-26-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

The Walbro pump draws ~9 amps, vs. the stock pump's ~5 amps. The stock wiring is marginal for the current draw of the stock pump, and should really be upgraded for the increased current draw of the Walbro. The Racetronix harness is a very well designed and implemented piece.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

I got a bit of two sense on this...I bought the fuel pump from summit a few months back and well lets just say it dont hook up like the stock one does! My stock pump had two fuel lines the man one the big hose and then the tiny one that hooked up to the pump and went to the sock. The new pump from summit has a whole where the little hose would hook up but no fitting to hook the hose up to....So my question would be is the lil hose needed or what is need to make this work??
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Hey, here is an update, can anyone help me here?

I am looking at Racetronix pump from Thunder Racing. Here is the link, it is the 4th product down $150:

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=165

I see right below that one, there is a kit that includes even more (wire harness) and it is $209.

If I pick up just the $150 unit, it says it is pretty much plug and play. I don't think I need the other unit as I do not plan on doing anymore motor work for the time being, also my stock unit held up for a while so I don't see why the other wouldent. Is the wireing harness THAT big of a deal? Thanks for any help, I am just still confused but would like to get this resolved soon. Thank you!

Also does anyone know of any same or similar pumps from different vendors for cheaper than that besides Summit?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It all comes down to the HP you want to support and your motor build (BSFC). ???

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix
It all comes down to the HP you want to support and your motor build (BSFC). ???
My car puts down 407RWHP..Its a cam only car and will remain like that for a while.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Will just the pump work? (no harness)