Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

2005 GTO fuel system idea: Stock tank and a small fuel cell

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 GTO fuel system idea: Stock tank and a small fuel cell

I already have a marine Aeromotive A1000. However it says it recommends a pump controller. The pump controllers that reduce the voltage when not in boost are just adding another failure point like having two pumps with one on a pressure(hobbs) switch.

So I was thinking Magnafuel for a pump. The Magnafuel pumps are low amp draw and designed to run continuous with no voltage controller.

Most guys are using a -8 to feed with the stock line as the return. I guess it's about equivalent to a -6. I'm not sure if a -8 is big enough to run lots of power with E85. You may need to do -10 and a separate -8 return.

The other issue with sumping the stock tank is running the fuel level to low and getting sloshing. Which will uncovert the pickup for the pump and cause a lean condition.

I was thinking of getting around this by adding a 5 gallon fuel cell in the spare tire well that is fed by a stock fuel tank thats been sumped.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15315...oductId=749961

You take a suction off the cell and return the fuel to the stock tank. Since the fuel cell is lower than the stock tank you would be able to run your gas gauge all the way to "E" and not uncover the pump suction.

You would need a supply to the cell and a vent line back to the top of the stock tank to let the gas self transfer. Then a properly sized vent on the stock tank.

What do you all think?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of their reason for a pump controller, but I know why I recommend a controller for our high output pumps -- reduce the pump's speed to both quiet it down and to reduce the volume of fuel within the fuel system to minimize the issue of increasing fuel temperature due to the large volume of fuel being moved throught the system while the engine does not require it (i.e normal everyday street driving).

When you increase the fuel temperature, you might increase the chances of vapor locking within the system -- lines, filters and ultimately the fuel pump (which will damage even the most robust fuel pumps).

You'd be surprised at how little fuel is required to operate on the street under normal driving conditions -- even with a boosted or nitrous'd high horsepowered engine.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Why would you need a sump on the stock tank? Just tap the lowest point in the rear and have the line feed into the reserve tank. If you go over to LS1GTO.com, they have tons of threads on the whole fuel system topic. Go take a look.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theone61636
Why would you need a sump on the stock tank? Just tap the lowest point in the rear and have the line feed into the reserve tank. If you go over to LS1GTO.com, they have tons of threads on the whole fuel system topic. Go take a look.

So I can actually use the whole tank and not keep 1/4 or more in it. Just putting a fitting on the tank means during cornering the pump suction would become uncovered. Even sumping the stock tank won't prevent it.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

How much power are you planning? You can do a dual pump setup with your factory tank which are 100% reliable for street duty or one of our fuel tanks with a sump for a large external pump setup. a surge tank setup is over engineering a simple system. Too much to go wrong.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

our stock tanks have side baffles
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by caindo
our stock tanks have side baffles
Yea most stock cars have that, so when your goin around a corner your car still gets fuel...

Quick Reply: 2005 GTO fuel system idea: Stock tank and a small fuel cell