Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Checking fuel pressure and pump function.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Roz
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking fuel pressure and pump function.

Hello,
I suspect that there is a fuel problem in a 99 Z28. Car sputters from what sounds like it's trying to start.....but it just doesn't want to start/stay on.

I suspect a fuel delivery issue. However, neither a friend or I know how to check the fuel pressure regulator or the pump.
------------------------
How would you check the regulator? Would you have to check the voltage, or actually test the regulator itself somehow? Answer that I found so far: Apparently the Pressure regulator is in the tank with the pump....so there is no way to test that without taking the pump out.

Secondly, how do you test the pump? Can you only test the pressure and that's how you in theory test the pump? Or is there a way to activate the pump directly?

Does the fuel pump pressurize the fuel lines when you turn the key to the "ignition" position?

I have read all of these threads(mostly for advice), but I have found nothing on how to actually test the devices to find if they are defective or good:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...mp-access.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...ning-over.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...99-camaro.html

Thank you very much.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

test fuel pressure
-you can buy a gauge for 30 to $50
-maybe autozone will rent you one

part of the fuel pressure test is to turn the car on, and not start it, the pressure will go up, the pump will shutoff after 2 seconds

any SES light, any codes?
change the fuel filter?
check the spark plugs?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Roz
Teching In

Originally Posted by fucter
test fuel pressure
-you can buy a gauge for 30 to $50
-maybe autozone will rent you one

part of the fuel pressure test is to turn the car on, and not start it, the pressure will go up, the pump will shutoff after 2 seconds

any SES light, any codes?
change the fuel filter?
check the spark plugs?

Sorry I didn't get back very quick....long day.

We have changed all plugs/wires within the last year, and know for a fact they are good/connected.

I don't think it has an SES light on, I think it's all clear, and has been for a long while.

Fuel filter change will be next on the list.

What should the fuel pressure look like? 10 PSI....or XX Gal/hour?

Thank you very much.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Roz
Teching In

He had no gas. He ran out of gas......
Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roz
He had no gas. He ran out of gas......
This check needs to be moved up higher on the diagnostic flowchart.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Roz
Teching In

I told him it was a safe thing to check within the first 5 minutes of messing with it when I had time. He said he was 99% sure it had at least a 1/4 of a tank.

He claims his car gets 210+(or something like that) to a tank, and at that point, it only had 160 on it.....so he was insistent.

I told him to put some in anyways just in case....he told me he was sure it didn't need any.

When we were 2 minutes away from dropping the tank, I hit the bottom of his tank with my fist and noticed there was no "trickle" sound of any fluids, whatsoever. So we hit it a few more times.

I told him there was a good chance he needed gas. He told me he was sure that can't possibly be the problem, but I offered to go get some anyways to at least try it out before we use the $350 pump he just bought.

We get back, put 2 gallons in.....fires right up. It was my first troubleshoot on my "flowchart". It was apparently his last.

Quick Reply: Checking fuel pressure and pump function.