Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85 killing walbros... looking for factory FFV pumps...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 killing walbros... looking for factory FFV pumps...

I have killed 2 walbro fuel pumps with E85 (both of them ran for years before, added e85, and they died in weeks). The first time I thought it was just "time" for it to go, but after the other one died afterward, I knew something was up.

I did a whole ton of research regarding aftermarket pumps and E85.. I know people here are going to yell and scream saying "omg mine has worked for years", but facts are facts.

TREperformance (quality walbro knockoffs) - Sent in my 2 dead pumps, both were confirmed by the manufacture to have been killed by alcohol contamination. TRE said that his pumps were not spec'd to run with e85 and that I am SOL.

Walbro - Did some research.. found a post on another forum stating that some person talked directly to a walbro rep, and they said specifically that they did not support anything but pump gas. TRE is a walbro dealer, and also said that the walbros are failing with E85, and that they would never sell a walbro in a E85 situation.

bosch 044 - Says in build spec PDF that they do not support or warranty it it with ethonol fuels, but there is a "clause" that says you can "get away with it" if you run a good amount of mostly pure gas through the pump a few times weekly.

Factory non ffv pumps - In many threads and discussions around the internet, I found many occations where e85 was repeatedly killing fuel pumps in older converted cars using normal 90's delphi/delco fuel pumps.

Now, the area where I can find almost no information is the flow rates, model numbers, manufactures of flex fuel pumps found in modern flex fuel cars. Here is a list of all the GM flex fuel cars.

Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe (all 2007 and 2008 models, some 2002–2006), Impala 2006 and later 3.5L, Monte Carlo 2006 and later 3.5L, HHR, S-10 Pickup.
As you notice, there is a bunch of LSx flex stuff on there... It would be obvious that the injectors are larger, I know they are but by now much I do not know. With larger injectors, it would only be obvious that they would require a larger fuel pump... which would also suggest that it would be larger than a supercharged/turbocharged cobalt fuel pump (which I know will do up to 500whp on pump gas, and at least 350whp on e85).

I am planning on being able to junkyard these pumps, and running them in a dual configuration to support 6 80# injectors at wide open duty cycle.

Questions :

1. What is the injector size of a FFV LSx?
2. Are the part numbers on the fuel pumps different for FFV cars/trucks?
3. Has anyone tested, ran, etc, GM FFV fuel pumps.

Last edited by darkhorizon; 02-22-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

this may be premature but...

what is it in the fuel that makes pumps go bad? (its not the 15% gasoline)

i would be willing to lean toward vane pumps being messed up but not gear pumps.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly the added conductivity of alcohol over gasoline causes added current draw/heat buildup.

Also, the insulation used in these motors may not endure the long term exposure to the higher concentration of alcohol.

As for Walbro pumps, I've had good luck with them even though they are not rated for use w/ E85.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

I ordered a FFV pump from a F150... going to dyno that vs my walbro at 60psi and report back... would be a good option if it worked as you can get them for ~$75 all day.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

i bet this knock off company jumped right off the boat soon as you said e85.. as in looking for any dumb reason they could dig up to not warranty the knock offs.

my feeling is that REAL walbros would do significantly better. i have no direct experience but hey.. we are allready using 10% ethanol so its really only another 75% we are talking about
Old 02-24-2010, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i bet this knock off company jumped right off the boat soon as you said e85.. as in looking for any dumb reason they could dig up to not warranty the knock offs.

my feeling is that REAL walbros would do significantly better. i have no direct experience but hey.. we are allready using 10% ethanol so its really only another 75% we are talking about
No doubt I smelled that... but these pumps do work amazingly well with 93 octane... I had no problem maxing out 60# injectors with a single pump.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Quality & knockoff do not seem to belong in the same sentence.
I hope the F150 pump you bought was from a dealer & not the local autoparts store.

I do not sell anything other than Genuine Walbro & more specifically only a few select model numbers that are proven to hold up.

Good luck with your E85 buildup.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Quality & knockoff do not seem to belong in the same sentence.
I hope the F150 pump you bought was from a dealer & not the local autoparts store.

I do not sell anything other than Genuine Walbro & more specifically only a few select model numbers that are proven to hold up.

Good luck with your E85 buildup.
I hate all aftermarket parts with a passion... I have a w/a intercooler core on my car that is aftermarket... and that is about it (and what do ya know, I hate that too), everything else is straight from some type of OEM. I know all to well that a parts store fuel pump is nothing compared to a OEM.

I am going to try to hold out with a single walbro and a boostapump on my other turbo car... I have not really decided the fuel I will run in that.. will be a tossup between Q and E85, obviously depends on how much I feel like spending on it.

Last edited by darkhorizon; 03-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I do have a few cars making over 750rwhp on E85 with my dual intank pump kit if you need to upgrade.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

I already have support for dual pumps, I just need to install them. Its just a matter of cost vs reward, and if I can get the job done on junkyard OEM, I would much rather do that over a unreliable (in any situation) walbro pump.

I have not heard of many OEM's killing pumps in the first 10k miles before.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
No doubt I smelled that... but these pumps do work amazingly well with 93 octane... I had no problem maxing out 60# injectors with a single pump.
sorry man but you got that backwards.

maxing out 60# injectors on a single walbro (or knock off) indicates a bad pump (or regulator)

the injectors are not getting enough fuel to them (because of low pressure or volume) and are staying open longer trying to achieve target AFR
Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
sorry man but you got that backwards.

maxing out 60# injectors on a single walbro (or knock off) indicates a bad pump (or regulator)

the injectors are not getting enough fuel to them (because of low pressure or volume) and are staying open longer trying to achieve target AFR
This is not my first rodeo here bro... When running E85 and making nearly 500whp..it is not hard to find the limit of 60# injectors. Also remember this is on a 6cyl.

The car I did this in has a digital fuel pressure gauge hooked directly to my HPT... Fuel pressure remained steady the whole time my injectors bounced around 19/20IPW.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

The title of this thread is misleading and should be changed to E85 killing FAKE walbros.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

This is not my first rodeo here bro... When running E85 and making nearly 500whp..it is not hard to find the limit of 60# injectors. Also remember this is on a 6cyl.
Seeing as how this is LS1tech most members are not going to base things off of a 6 cylinder nor are they going to guess you are talking about a 6 cylinder.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NicD
The title of this thread is misleading and should be changed to E85 killing FAKE walbros.
Well, I do agree that is a bit misleading,but I was assured that the same thing was happening with walbros as well. The pumps are made and designed similarly.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It would be best to base remarks off of your actual experiences, rather than condemning a product based off of heresay.

There are quite a few knowledgable people that responded to this post trying to help you, & many more with favorable results using Walbro pumps.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

I ordered a FFV pump from a F150... going to dyno that vs my walbro at 60psi and report back... would be a good option if it worked as you can get them for ~$75 all day.
F150 pump was junk... Turns out it wasnt made by delphi. Just tossed it in the trash when it was too big to even fit in the tank.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Query

Besides your pumps being of the off brand nature perhaps your bad luck can be attributed to how often you were running E85. Some drivers only run E85 on the strip and run E10 for regular driving which would explain their better fortune.

Is your car a daily driver? How much would you say you were you filling up on E85 as compared to E10?

Quick Reply: E85 killing walbros... looking for factory FFV pumps...