Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

-6 AN to 3/8 tube question about fitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -6 AN to 3/8 tube question about fitting

I want to use 3/8 galvanized steel tubing for fuel my offroad project. I'll only be using flex hoses at the tank and the fuel rails. One option to get the 3/8" tubing to -6 AN flex hose is Earl's 165006ERL fitting. It is aluminum of course. My question is will this be a strong enough joint for an fuel injection (LS1 +60 psi) setup? I'm sure others have gone this route so I'm looking for confirmation.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got tube and nut fittings in steel, if you are more comfortable with those. PM me if I can help.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

You can get flair fitting for the end of the hard line that mate up to the -6an fitting. Just have to put a small flair on the line. That is the best way in my opinon.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use aluminum tube nuts. They work great unless you try to do it on a bend. If you do it on a bend, you may have problems getting the compression even around the line. If it has to be on a bend. Leave the line straight, compress the nut/fitting together first and then make the bend.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. After adding up all the costs of Earl's pieces I was stunned. At lunch I went over to the local hydaulic services shop. I can do the whole system for about a third of the fancy anonized aluminum pieces using high quality steel components. Their high pressure braided fuel hose is...drum roll...$1.40 @ foot compared to $7.25 for Earl's stuff. It's probably the same stuff too. At that price I can replace it (and hoses ends) every couple of years and still be way ahead. Another example of ripoff is Aeroquip's -6 AN to 1/4 NPT 90 degree steel fitting. Summit wants $10.95 each. I bought US made high quality nickel plated pieces for $1.20 each! The other fittings average between $2 and $3 a piece. The only over-priced fittings I'll have to buy are the Russell fuel rail adapters. I will be using the compression fittings instead of flaring as it was indicated that I'd have absolutely no problems with such low line pressure.