Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

where to run return to a sumped tank..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where to run return to a sumped tank..

OK, I am in the middle of putting my fuel system together in my project car (carbed 86 GT) and I am trying to figure out where to run the return on my tank. I don't really have room up top for a fitting and then the line up top between the tank and floor since I am running a -10 feed and return as recommended by a few stang guys for the A1000 on the carbed setup. I wanted to run -8 but they told me to use -10 as the flow would help keep the pump cooler . Either way, it is there now and I am using it lol. Anyway, can I run the return to the side of the tank towards the top? It will be below the fuel level when filled to the brim, but I wouldn't think that would even be a problem once the pump stars flowing- or would it?

If not, has anyone run a return to the filler neck? I was thinking this may be a good option, but I don't need fuel spraying out through the cap or something. Thanks in advance.
Joe
Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I am curious where people have put there return? Subed.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Summit has a kit that goes in the filler neck, I used one on my Firebird before I changed tanks. You cut the filler neck and insert the tube in the filler neck. the tube has a return line tube in the middle that points down to the tank.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-65385/
Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

My question is does it have to be in the top of the tank? I can't imagine that lower in the fuel level would have enough restricion to make a differance?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by custm2500
My question is does it have to be in the top of the tank? I can't imagine that lower in the fuel level would have enough restricion to make a differance?
Kind of what I am curious about as well. Anyone?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

My sump has two outlets. I am using one for supply and one for return. Havn't had any problems so far it seems. My fuel pressure actualy drops so that tells me there isn't any restriction from having the return in the bottom of the tank. I was curious if anyone else has done this and had any problems.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by custm2500
My sump has two outlets. I am using one for supply and one for return. Havn't had any problems so far it seems. My fuel pressure actualy drops so that tells me there isn't any restriction from having the return in the bottom of the tank. I was curious if anyone else has done this and had any problems.
I was told that could cause problems with the feed due to the current/sloshing from the return. I don't know for sure though and would like to find out as that would be the ideal place for me to put my return if it works!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

It was the ideal location but I don't know if it is my problem. Doesn't seem to be because the pump never changes in sound. Also it has changed for the better when I changed the factory regulator.

Anyone have facts on if it is an issue or not to have the return in the bottom not far away from the feed.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Bumping to see if anyone else has ideas. Still trying to figure my issues out and curious if anyone has an idea on this issue.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ended up welding a fitting to the side of my tank near the filler opening that I tapped to 3/8 npt to run my return to. I was a bit leery of running the return back to the sump due to aeration and such.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I relocated my return from next to the feed to the top of my tank today. At first thought it fixed all my problems. After driving the truck twice will all issues seemingly gone they resurfaced. The return at the bottom of the tank seems to have no negative effects. I will probably leave it in the top just to make sure though.