Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up

I've got a project I'm working on that needed an ITB set-up to be even remotely similar to the car I'm trying to emulate, but in order to finish the car up correctly, the aftermarket LS1 ITB set-ups were either too expensive, or not the correct design visually. So I started looking around for parts that I could work using "normal" garage tools to create an effective ITB set-up (could use my 48 IDA Webers, but I wanted to stay away from the hassle).

After 6 months of looking around I chose an Edelbrock Pro-Flow LS1 intake, and a bunch of Chrysler LHS 48mm throttle bodies (made by Holley...nice surprise. Anyway, I thought I'd throw some photos your way to share the work thus far. Currently I've spent about $700 for everything mechanical (what you see in these first two posts), and now trying to decide how to control this using an OEM GM ecu (if possible).

The thumbnails below are in order of the work of cutting the new intake manifold up, straightening the runners, cutting the remainder of the plenum off the runners, fabricating mounting plate (which was then cut into individual plates after welding to relieve some warping issues), and then a couple of photos of the salvage 48mm ITBs from a Chrysler LHS 3.5L motor. The neat thing about these ITBs is that they are fairly simple (from an OEM perspective) lacking in the usual garbage attached to an OEM TB. The 3.5L uses two of these (one on each side of the intake), which made the purchase even cheaper ($40 / pair).
Attached Thumbnails Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot279.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot261.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot262.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot274.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot275.jpg  

Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot245.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot247.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot288.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot277.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot278.jpg  

Last edited by blueovalz; 04-18-2010 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NSFW (03-01-2024)
Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Remaining photos show the fabrication of the adapter plate which will transition the round ITB into a semi-rectangular runner configuration. I'm using the Chrysler OEM mounting studs because of their shoulder which indexes the ITB over their holes. The adapter plate also allows me to change to different ITB mounting patterns later (or even go back to the Webers) without re-modifying the manifold itself.

Obviously I've got a lot of trimming and detailing to do, fabricate the throttle linkage assembly, install tuning stacks (or tubes), as well as connect all the vacuum ports for each TB into a single vacuum "box" for manifold pressure readings.
Attached Thumbnails Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot276.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot280.jpg   Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up-screenshot256.jpg  

Last edited by blueovalz; 04-18-2010 at 10:52 PM.
NSFW (03-01-2024)
Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice work, post a video of when it is running, i would love to hear how that motor sounds with itb

Last edited by elias_799; 04-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

innovative!
subscribing.
it should work well when its all said and done.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I commend your fabrication skills and taking on a project like this, but have you looked at it from a theoretical / functional standpoint? What are you runner lengths and why did you decide on those numbers? I hate to break this to you, but those throttle bodies are honestly too small.

This thread should help you out a lot:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...tb-thread.html
Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the link! Functionally, these should work fine based on observed testing using similar configurations with the GT40, etc crowd. This setup will have longer runners than any aftermarket vertical set-up I've been able to find (outside of a purely custom built), and a bit shorter than the semi-horizontal angled ones (not what I'm wanting). But regardless of runner length, the tuning stacks will provide additional needed length for my application. Four vendors (in the US, Australia, and England) all say a 48mm throttle body will easily support my power goal (somewhere between 450 and 500 HP) and said the larger ones would provide very little gain over my planned use with stock LS2 heads. so the use of a 50mm, or even a 52mm will be of little gain. Heck, If I had money to spend on the Harrop intake system, I would be buying an original M8B rather than scratch-build a poor replica of one.

In regards max HP, ITBs may not be an inefficient way to go about getting it. A small 4-barrel common plenum induction system will outflow 8 decent sized ITBs during the short single cylinder intake event at each port. But there were very few CanAm cars that ran Webers, and even with largest chokes available, they are still much more restrictive than the same "sized" TB.

Last edited by blueovalz; 04-21-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice build. What is the estimated total cost?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How's the finished product? Pics?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been looking for updates on this too. Do you have a complete build thread on this? Anything besides the youtube stuff? Any other sites you may have posted on?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rather than an OEM GM ECM, have you looked at the Mrgasquirt? It is available with sequential ignition and fuel.

http://www.msefi.com/index.php?sid=b...507b857a92b376
Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blueovalz
Remaining photos show the fabrication of the adapter plate which will transition the round ITB into a semi-rectangular runner configuration. I'm using the Chrysler OEM mounting studs because of their shoulder which indexes the ITB over their holes. The adapter plate also allows me to change to different ITB mounting patterns later (or even go back to the Webers) without re-modifying the manifold itself.

Obviously I've got a lot of trimming and detailing to do, fabricate the throttle linkage assembly, install tuning stacks (or tubes), as well as connect all the vacuum ports for each TB into a single vacuum "box" for manifold pressure readings.
================================
blueovalz:

You are what Hot Rodding is all about!

Awesome work whether it runs great or not, you are doing it old school nd my hat is off to you.

I'm looking forward to your adventure.

Good Luck,

Ty O'Neal
Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is an old thread but there are custom SD operating systems that work perfectly for these applications. Normal VE table that has a TPS vs RPM multiplier table that is active at all times so there is no weird transitions from SD to Alpha-N.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Long awaited update, but still prepping. I've spent the last three years since I started this thread fabricating basically 75% of the fiberglass body and frame, suspension (using front C4 uprights), headers, rebuilding the 930 turbo transmission, and getting everything working EXCEPT for the ITBs, which went on the back burner for a while. Finally, last spring I installed a 4-v carb induction system just to work out the kinks in the oiling (dry sump with a lot of homemade parts, electrical, fuel, and cooling systems (lots of fabrication here as well). Now that that is all finished, and I've driven a few miles testing, I've re-installed the ITB set-up. I'm also installing the Holley HP EFI "self learning" ECU, and about to terminate the Un-terminated wiring harness for this system. Hopefully in a week or two, I should be getting close to bumping this off with the ITBs.

Using the 650 Holley carb (please forgive the female commentary). Click on the Youtube at lower right link if the picture is not right (or full screen mode)...not sure why this happens.

Terry

Last edited by blueovalz; 08-19-2013 at 09:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blueovalz:
Homer_Simpson (05-01-2023), NSFW (03-01-2024)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's looking great. The better half is hilarious.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

+1.......
Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Teching In

It's been a long time, but thought I'd post some final words on the project. The ITBs work great. The Holley HP EFI was tough for this "old school" boy to handle, but eventually I got everything worked out (the harness was the biggest problem). It's pretty versatile, and can handle just about any configuration you could throw at it. I'm using MAP, Coolant temp, WBO2, and TPS as inputs for control outside of the cam and crank sensors.

The following 5 users liked this post by blueovalz:
chickensoup (12-02-2022), Homer_Simpson (04-20-2023), jmilz28 (04-08-2024), NSFW (03-01-2024), sugey (03-02-2024)
Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know how I missed this thread, that is one hell of a job and a ton of work too!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Wow this is awesome work! Wish I just had half the ingenuity it takes to build stuff like this.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blueovalz
It's been a long time, but thought I'd post some final words on the project. The ITBs work great. The Holley HP EFI was tough for this "old school" boy to handle, but eventually I got everything worked out (the harness was the biggest problem). It's pretty versatile, and can handle just about any configuration you could throw at it. I'm using MAP, Coolant temp, WBO2, and TPS as inputs for control outside of the cam and crank sensors.

Tuning Holley HP EFI Manta Mirage M8E McLaren LS2 LS1 replica - YouTube
Awesome work. I am extremely impressed!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First thread I ever subscribed to. Both feet in the middle of a bunch of fiberglass work myself.
Homer_Simpson (04-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Poor man's LS1 ITB fab-up