Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

FIC 120s, a quick review

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Default FIC 120s, a quick review

I really don't see any reviews of injectors on here like you do with other parts so here is a quickie. When FIC came out with their high impedance 120 lb/hr injectors it piqued my curiosity. I was interested in potentially getting rid of a driver box just to eliminate extra wiring/controllers from my car but also to see if a newer larger high impedance injector could really perform as well as a higher current driven low impedance injector with a peak/hold driver box for R&D. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it can perform as well if not a bit better in certain areas.

The one thing that I always had an issue with the 120lb low impedance injectors was that on my stock cube motor even with E85 on decel in the lower rpms it would go down into the mid 12 a/f ratio at their physical minimum pulsewidth. If I commanded the pulsewidth any lower the injector wouldn't fire and it would just stumble so I knew I was at the minimum of what the injector could do. Idle was always pretty close to a mid 14 but it was definitely close to the minimum pulsewidth in that area.

When I started testing the FIC 120s I noticed that on decel I could get up into the mid 13s before any misfiring would occur so there was an improvement. Now this is only after about 30 minutes of tweaking so there may be some more room to improve but I think it's fairly close to what the end result is going to be. Driveability everywhere else was on par but I never had any driveability problems before with the low impedance/driver box either. WOT was kind of hard to measure on cold pavement but everything lined up and it ran well.

I'll post some more thoughts after I have more time with them but so far so good and I'm happy with them.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Nic for the review. What tuning system are you running?

Glenn
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
7 Second Club

Damn one reply, doesn't anybody else find this stuff interesting or have anything to share? LOL!

Glenn,
I am just using the factory ECU with an HPT 3 bar OS.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Damn one reply, doesn't anybody else find this stuff interesting or have anything to share? LOL!
thanks Nick, really appreciate the review, we have sold a few more to shops since your first review. Funny how even the competition is'nt commenting. Are they speechless since we are the ONLY one that has these. We have many new products coming out soon. But these 120's are sweet.
thanks again
Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to see a nice review on these I know you were kinda skeptical about these injectors at first NicD. I bought a set of 80lb siemens from FIC and I'd love to go bigger but 120's just aren't gonna cut it on E85 with what my goal is. The 160 high impedance inj's are just out of my budget had to settle with some low imped 160's with a box.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is an interesting write up. I will defiately look into these when I max out my 80s. Wild looking injector!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put a set of FICs on the neon (1100cc/min = 105 lbs/hr). It's on E85 all the time. They run so much smoother than the low impedance 1000s I was using. I was thinking of asking Nic about the big ones for the camaro, since I'm finally getting closer to putting it together. This is good news.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD

Glenn,
I am just using the factory ECU with an HPT 3 bar OS.

It's appropriately posted here, but the tuning section may have elicited a little more of a response.

What was the min open time you could get them down to? Where (or about what time) did they go non-linear?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see some review on these.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
What was the min open time you could get them down to? Where (or about what time) did they go non-linear?
I got them down to around 1.0-1.1 ms before they started to not open/misfire which is right around where I can get the Siemens 80s down to.

Quick Reply: FIC 120s, a quick review