Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

quick question on fuel pump sending unit

Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quick question on fuel pump sending unit

93 Camaro w/LS1 swap here, drove the car perfectly fine today and fuel gauge was working properly. When the gauge was at a quarter full (meaning a quarter above half full, pointing northeast), my gauge needle wobbled before shooting all the way up beyond Full. I was just driving normally, cruising along at about 50mph, nothing crazy.

It did not affect the car's drivability in any way.

I did this test on the purple and black wires:

and my multimeter reading didn't read ANYTHING. I double checked to make sure my multimeter was working properly with a few Radio Shack resistors I had, and the multimeter is working just fine.

Is this an indication that my fuel pump sending unit has gone out? The sending unit is from 1993, so it's fairly old.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:16 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No power at all, huh. Did you turn the key to the "ON" position (not RUN) when you set the meter on it? I wonder if the gauge could be having issues too...

Last edited by myk; 07-04-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could have a bad connection in the tank, but more than likely you have a bad sending unit. When the sender goes bad it loses connection & will show an open circuit like you are seeing (causing the gauge to go past full). This can be a random problem at various fuel levels, or it may quit all together.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
No power at all, huh. Did you turn the key to the "ON" position (not RUN) when you set the meter on it? I wonder if the gauge could be having issues too...
Yep, I turned the key to ON also, and tested. Same thing. No reading. I wondered if it might be the gauge also, but taking that assembly in and out so many times, I wouldn't be surprised if it was damaged. There is a way to verify that the gauge is working and I should probably do that and report back, thanks for reminding me.

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
You could have a bad connection in the tank, but more than likely you have a bad sending unit. When the sender goes bad it loses connection & will show an open circuit like you are seeing (causing the gauge to go past full). This can be a random problem at various fuel levels, or it may quit all together.
Ah ok, thanks Lonnie. Would you happen to know what the main cause of sending units going out is? Is it age? Or damage due to mishandling a fragile part?

Search this Thread