Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Low fuel pressure. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low fuel pressure. Need help

My car started sputtering and died out in the middle of nowhere the other night. I pulled off the road and tried to start it a few times and it would start and idle real rough and just die after a few seconds. I checked for fuel pressure just by pushing the schrader valve in and very little fuel came out of the schrader valve with next to no pressure. Ended up having the car towed 75 miles home. Car has 108K on it.

I had just filled up my tank at some station in BFE about 50 miles before that and figured I might have got some bad gas so I went home and replaced the fuel filter that had 15K on it. Checked the old filter by trying to pour some water through it and pretty much no water would flow through it at all. It just trickled out when you'd wiggle it a little

Started the car after replacing it and it idled normal for about a minute and then started sputtering again. Hooked up a guage and It shows I have 20 psi with ignition on. Ater I start it, it holds the 20 psi for about 15 seconds and then drops off to pretty much nothing and the car dies within a minute.

Anything else I can check before assuming it's the fuel pump?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here... car just started acting up, I pushed in the schader valve and had no fuel pressure. assuming its the fuel pump?? any help ?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely it is the pump, especially if it works for a few seconds & randomly quits.

A regulator failure in these cars ('99-'02) is not very common, but generally will show constant low pressure or a failure to hold pressure when the car is off.

I have the Racetronix kits in stock if interested in a performance pump kit.

I also have original equipment pumps or the complete fuel assembly w/ pump & sensors if you want a drop in replacement. The autoparts store variety are inferior to the factory pumps.

Feel free to give me a call.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad worked on cars a lot years ago and he also said it sounds like regulator.

Is there a way to test the regulator without dropping the tank?