Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Bad misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad misfire

My car has had an intermittent miss for over a year now. I just finally bought HP tuners VCM suite. I logged the misfire data and #2 is missing alot. Over 200 counts a few times. Pulled the plug and it is a nice light brown color. Visually inspected and appears to have no cracks or carbon tracking. I swapped the coils with #4. Still missing on #2. I put a couple of bottles of Techron in the tank and went out and beat the snout out of her a few times. Still miss on #2. Last night I swapped the injectors between #4 and #2. Drove it today. Still bad miss on #2. It is mostly right after I take off from a stop. It mostly comes out of it once I get the rpm's up. But it comes right back after I slow down. I tried the CASE learn as some have said that fixed misfire issues. Still misses. My next step is to replace the plug and possibly swap the plug wires. It has fairly new MSD wires and it does not have any external damage to the wire. Any other suggestions? I don't believe it is a wiring issue due to the way it acts and comes out of it when the rpm's are increased. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Test for these:
- cooling system pressure test.
- block test kit (tests for presence of combustion gases in coolant using a blue dye that turns yellow).
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Cooling system is good. Holds pressure.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Any ideas??? I am looking into the O2 sensor and wiring to it as well on that side.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also, pull the pushrods and check for any being bent...

I still think you may have a minor coolant leak into #2... when you did the coolant pressure test, how long was pressure maintained and how slowly did it drop (did it maintain the same pressure for at least 30 minutes)...?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

It held pressure for over an hour. Only lost maybe 1/2 psi. Also I would think I would see signs of coolant leaking on the spark plug and it appeared to be OK. I suppose it could be a slight coolant leak that would burn off. I will pressure check it again. Also, the coolant level has not dropped at all in the 3 years I have owned the car.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, then next is to do block test (detects combustion gasses in coolant), and after that do leakdown/compression test.

Last edited by joecar; 07-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

I did the block test and no combustion gases in the coolant. Pushrods are OK. I went to change the O2 sensors as I had a few slow response codes for the right bank. I ordered new Denso's from Rock Auto as they were on a smoking sell!! I removed the old one from the right bank. I thought I had extensions. Nope. They are a different sensor with a 4ft harness on them. Not sure what brand. I googled all of the numbers on them and came up with nothing. I wonder if they are even the right ones? The harness is covered in a thick, red sleeve. Looks like some of the Bosch ones I have seen. The following info is on the sensor:

0 258 005 740
8811831 12v 982

That's it. Any ideas on what these are and if they are even the right ones? Attached are a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails Bad misfire-o2-sensor.jpg   Bad misfire-o2-sensor_2.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

o2 sensor will not cause single cylinder misfire, your following the right path, if a sparkplug, wire swap does not move the misfire check that that coil is getting signal from the PCM, along with power and ground could just be an open wire but thoose should throw a coil code