Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel tank pickup and modification help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank pickup and modification help needed

I have a 1978 corvette, dropped in the LS1 with a T-56 and am now to the fuel system. I already have everything for my fuel system to be more than enough to run my 550hp goal on my turbochered LS.

I will be running an inline pump setup.

My question is solving the pickup point issue in my tank.
I planned on installing a AN fitting to the bottom center of the tank, but know under hard driving and turning with low fuel level the pickup could be uncovered. The tank has the plastic lining blader and no baffling, so welding on a sump pickup is also an issue do to the plastic.

Holley makes a multi-point fuel pickup intank deal but I have not looked too much into that.

Can I install 2 or 3 pickup points on the bottom of my tank? One in the middle, and one on each side of the tank, or if one of these pickups becomes uncovered will it let air into my line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Use an in tank, 4th gen LS1 pump module.
http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm
Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank pickup and modification help needed-croped-fb-camaro-fuel-pump-modul.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Use an in tank, 4th gen LS1 pump module.
http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm
Appreciate the input, I did get everything for my swap from a crashed 99 trans am and still have the fuel tank and pump setup. I could go this route, but I do also have my inline pumps I already purchased. I could install the f-body setup intank and run the additional inline pump for the extra needed for the turbo app.
This is going to make me think real hard and long on the topic.

Another thing I thought might work is do the single pickup point on the bottom of the tank and instal a sump stile pan inside the tank that the draw point is fed through. It would be the same idea as surrounding the intank pump but just for a gravity feed style setup.
Thoughts on this idea?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have the tank from the 99 Trans Am. I would seriously consider using the fuel pump module, rather than the inline pump. The in line pump will actually hinder the out put of the in tank pump. I am going to use this set up on a 79 Trans Am.
Did you read the sticky at the top of this forum, installing twin in tank pumps?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Launching!

I did read that sticky when I was still planning my whole setup. I never thought about modifying my tank for using the intank off the trans-am. I also like the easy accessability of the inline pumps right there if need be. Who knows I may end up going the intank rout in the end, but that is another pump I would have to purchase.
hard decision

Quick Reply: Fuel tank pickup and modification help needed