Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

vacuum reference on regulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vacuum reference on regulator

Does the LS1 and LS6 take a vacuum reference on the fuel pressure regulator? I used to always think they needed one until recently installing a brand new 2012 LS3 in a Brunton Stalker. The install manual for the LS3 says 60lbs of pressure and NO vacuum reference. thanks

Scott
www.bruntonauto.com
Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These engines were originally configured to operate at a constant fuel pressure. No vacuum reference is used.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, the LS3/LS7 engines were supplied with a return-less fuel system. The FPR is located in the tank on the assembly, and does not reference vacuum or pressure.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Launching!

What does one do when they are changing from ls1 style to ls3 style rail?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JankesGTO
What does one do when they are changing from ls1 style to ls3 style rail?
One gets compatible injectors, connector adaptors, etc.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Teching In

I guess the early LS1's had a return line? I know the later generations had no return line. I think the answer to your question is what I have to do when making a car and using aftermarket cell, pump, and regulator. If your car is setup for a return line, you need to a get a fuel pressure regulator like an aeromotive. Make sure it goes to high enough pressure, not a carb one. The aeromotive regulator should have 4 high pressure ports around the sides with one return line port out the bottom. So you would run your high pressure line into one of the 4 ports. Your return line out the bottom of the regulator. With the three remaining ports I run one to the fuel rail, one to a pressure gauge, and plug the other. In these pics i have the regulator turned sideways so the pressure feeds into the bottom, then the return out the side into top of the tank. The pressure line then heads to the front of vehicle. This picture is taken of a brunton stalker. www.bruntonauto.com
Attached Thumbnails vacuum reference on regulator-dsci0758.jpg   vacuum reference on regulator-dsci0757.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 07:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the 97-98 Corvette & 99-03 Trucks were the only LS motors to use a front regulator & return line. The others used a rear mount regulator in the tank.

As for any aftermarket regulator, you should use it only on the return line to bleed excess pressure back to the tank & not in the supply line. Many regulators do not have sufficient internal capacity to fed the engine without causing a restriction. Also for best pressure control it should be at the rail & not the tank.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

heres a question, and yes i know old but these fuel rail and BR-FPR threads seem to be far and inbetween with incomplete anwsers.

is it as simple as running the FPR off the fuel rail and then run a return line into one of the supply ports on the fuel pump assembly and then plug the t-juntion by the fuel filter that had one of the supply lines in it. this route is use to keep the EVAP system untouched right?

Quick Reply: vacuum reference on regulator