Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

why the eff does my fuel pump keep dying?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why the eff does my fuel pump keep dying?!?!

okay, this is on a 2002 chevy silverado, i am utterly confused on this one. last year, my fuel pump started giving tale tell signs that it was going to go out. a few months later, it did, and me and my dad put an aftermarket fuel pump on it, and it worked, until about 4 weeks ago, so we returned it at autozone and put another one in it. tuesday, it went out again, so i figured that airtex pumps sucked dick so we bought a delphi and got the money back on airtex. we put the new delphi pump in the truck, and drove it to take the airtex back the same day, and dammit, the fuel pump wouldnt prime and run. and that is exactly what happens, it will start cold, run for as long as it runs without shutting the engine off, but when you shut it off to go in somewhere, and go to start it back, the fuel pump won't kick in. so what could be causing, this? fuel pressure regulator or something else, please help me guys it is completely confusing me
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

No prime voltage?? Have you checked the electrical system out???
The A/M pumps are so well known for short MTBF, that my parts guy refuses to sell them..So, U R not the only "victim"...
Old 09-11-2011, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

well its got a delphi on now, i havent checked wires yet but i will look sometime
Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

check the ground of the pump...
voltage drop over the ground side make sure its 0v or very low mv
Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

if it was something with the wiring going to the pump, wouldnt it just stop working randomly. i mean, it runs fine and dandy, but when you shut it off, and it sets for about 5 minutes, it won't start back. i pulled off the pressure regulator off and gas sprayed out. so the fuel rails are still pressurized. i was thinking something that tells the injectors and fuel pump to run since the rails are full and pressurized.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The PCM triggers the prime cycle.
Then, at start, when the PCM sees a rpm signal, it turns the fp back on.
Because the rail sprayed fuel doesn't mean that the system is at the correct pressure. Put a fuel psi gauge on it, and see what's going on...
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

well, i think it was pressurized cus it sprayed out there like a ************! lol. the engine wouldnt even start and sputter and die so i know the fuel rails had a good bit of pressure. im going to get a haynes manual tomorrow and see if i can't fix this baby. parents thinkin of gettin a new truck and lettin me have the chevy so if i fix it, it's all mine . but anyways, the crank sends a signal for injectors and coils right? what all electrical things should i check, pcm, crank, fuel pump, maybe even the electrical center to?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

shrink wrap i covered wires with i shrunk too much. ground wire became uncovered and wasnt getting a good ground i suppose. havent tried it out yet, but really think that was the deal because it wouldnt start until i respliced the wires and soldered em up. anyways, before doing anything else, if this happens to you, just check wiring on ur pump, guess i shoulda done that first but i thought it was just the pump because it would just do it intermittently

Quick Reply: why the eff does my fuel pump keep dying?!?!